These are pictures of an extrusion saw I designed and built for a production job in my shop. The material is 8 foot long, 3/16 diameter 6061 aluminum with a 1/16 hole through the center. The 8 foot lengths need to be cut into pieces .219 +/-.010 in length. +/-.002 is usually easily held. Variation beyond that indicates something came loose. The cut off pieces have a mirror finish and are burr free. I have three of these saws altogether used for sawing different extrusions.

The saw blade is a .025" wide, 3" diameter jewlers saw with 230 teeth. I used Wd-40 for coolant. The part length is determined with an adjustable solid stop.

The motor is a 1/8hp 90V DC. The bar feeder is controlled by an
Allen-Bradely Micrologix 1000 PLC. The PLC stops the saw after a preset counter is done. Usually 4" of the original bar remains when the saw automaticaly stops

Guide block, coolant nozzle, saw blade

The 8' rod feeds into a brass buide block with an oversized 3/16 diameter hole. The rod is cut to the .219 length while inside the guide block. The part is sliced off almost burr free. The rod ejects the cut part on the next stock advance.

WD-40 spayed onto saw blade every fourth cut. Mist is on for only 20 milliseconds. This is just enought coolant to keep the saw from loading up with shavings yet not enough to have puddles of coolant under the saw or on the floor

The cut pieces or sleeves as the customer calls them. One has a steel cable through 1/16 hole. The sleeve will be crimped onto the cable. The 8 foot length is reduced to .219 long pieces in about 6 minutes.

I'm interested in building more of these cut off machines if I could connect with the right people.

Thought this might be of interest
Jim