585,883 active members*
4,629 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > LinuxCNC (formerly EMC2) > Anyone using scotta's hy_vfd rs485 for linuxcnc?

Anyone using scotta's hy_vfd rs485 for linuxcnc?

I am trying to get this working after finding the files in thread Huanyang VFD RS485 / Modbus

The problem I am having is that nothing is going out to the serial port from the hy_vfd hal component / or linuxcnc. not sure which is not letting it through.

I have used a serial port terminal and a serial port loopback, to verify I am using the physical com port that is attached to /dev/ttyS1
    Also I have hooked oscilloscope up to R+/R- terminals coming out of rs232-rs485 converter, and I can see mirrored square wave when typing in the serial port terminal. I am pretty sure all of this is working as it should.

However when I launch emc2, in the terminal is displays the messages as it is loading, such as hy_vfd etc.. 19200 baud / ttyS1 etc.. then nothing else from hy_vfd is displayed in terminal. no communication errors or anything.
    Axis is working as it should, and the pyvcp component of hy_vfd is displaying correctly, and if I get a linuxcnc error, such as "cant issue MDI command while not homed" that shows up in the terminal, so it still prints there as it should. I have tried the -g and -M and --debug, but it seems like hy_vfd is just all show and no go..

Anyone still using this program? I really want to get this all working, and it looks like the best way to control a huanyang VFD that I have seen.

Thanks!

I am using linuxcnc 2.5 and I think when the hy_vfd was released 2.3 or 2.4 was current. I am looking through the source code now trying to wrap my head around it with my limited and not used in 10 years programming skills.

Ok i have been putting printf commands in the source as a debugging tool to see how far through the code I get before it hangs, and I found I get to the point of

Code:
    // wait until EMC and AXIS is ready, ie enable bit is set
    	while (!*(haldata->enable)){
    		// do nothing until enabled
    	}
    So I need to find out what haldata->enable is connected to. I am guessing this is something that has changed since 2.4
    With axis running, i looked through halmeter and the only pin with enable in the name I could find that was false is spindle-vfd.enable

Anyone out there?

I will post all my files once i get it working so anyone with 2.5 who wants to use it can get it working easily. I had to change a few lines in the source from emc2 to linuxcnc already. I know I can get this working, just not that familiar with anything but basic programming and setup.

I made this way more complicated than needed.

Somehow my custom_postgui.hal was overwritten with another one

what i was missing was
    Code:
    # now enable the VFD after EMC is up and running

setp spindle-vfd.enable 1
    I will update if I have any other problems/solutions and If anyone is trying to get this working I can help