585,715 active members*
4,409 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Laptop???

Laptop???

Me again! I have seen several posts on running Mach 3 on laptops for your CNC's. All of the successful stories seem to have been with a Dell laptop? I have 2 HP's (a Pavilion ZE5000 and a Compaq nc6320). Both have built-in parallel ports. I plan to pick up a desktop but in the meantime has anyone been able to get either of these to work? I'm basically looking to see if the X, Y, and Z jog like they are supposed to. If the laptop will not work what will the symptoms be?

Well I ran my Mach 3 from the HP NC6320 last night. It wasn't connected to the CNC but I ran a few of the codes from the built in wizard and everything seemed to work fine. I didn't do anything special to it. I ran the wizard and it shows about 24384 MHz steady. I am going to try to get it connected tonight and see if I can get some movement from it. I'll post back with the results.

Well I hooked everything up according to the instructions but I only wired a Y-axis motor just for testing. I ran the provided roadrunner.tap file and all looked good on the laptop screen but I had no movement on the CNC??? I then hit the TAB key and tried to jog it but still nothing. The readouts on the screen appeared like it was jogging but nothing. The power supply was running as I could hear the fan an see lights.

It was getting late so I didn't do any further troubleshooting.

Ran the drivetest again and the readout was about 23.877 with about a .01 variance at times.

I won't get to work on this again until either late Saturday or some time Sunday. Any suggestions on what to look for or why it might not be working?