584,837 active members*
5,145 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Exclamation Citizen L20 error codes 4 and 17

Hi there,
    We just purchased a 1995 Citizen L20 Screw machine with Mitsubishi control. Our electrician just wired it up this morning and on startup I am getting this error:

M02 Need R.P. RTN 0004

I've looked through the machine manual but it is not very helpful when it comes to alarms. Any ideas? I don't have any previous screw machine experience.

I don't know the exact alarm by number but deciphering the words your machine needs a reference point return. Again I don't know the control for that particular year model but you should be able to find the procedure in your manual

Cheers

Also make sure you have the three machine manuals, programmers, operators and maintenance, as well as the mistubishi manuals, there should be one dedicated to alarms/parameters

Thanks for posting SirDenisNayland,
    I dug through my Cincom manual (the seller did provide me with all of the manuals) and found the zero return section which is attached for the next guy looking to fix this. It took a few tries, half of the directions are to turn parameter 9 off which allows you to zero return the axes. Once that was turned off you jog each axis in the negative direction until the dog switch is tripped. I did Xv, Xh and Z on the main and then hit the subspindle button and did Xb and Zb, and then turned parameter 9 back on. Problem fixed.
    Attached Files Attached Files

No problem, glad to hear you got it all figured out.

Man that manual page reminds me of my old 1984 L16 manual. Actually is alot more clear than the L16 manual.

I still am surprised that I was able to decipher that gibberish. Taught myself how to run it just by the manuals when I was 16. But with no C or sub, have not come across a part I could make on it in the last five years.

The manuals have certainly improved since then, but the machines are much more complex now too.

Thanks for the post! (I know this is old, haha). I just had this same problem with my E32. We had a power surge last night and I'm guessing that's why. This post led me to have it up and running again in 10min. Never know when you might post something that helps people later down the road! Thanks again!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jpeg1900 View Post
    Thanks for the post! (I know this is old, haha). I just had this same problem with my E32. We had a power surge last night and I'm guessing that's why. This post led me to have it up and running again in 10min. Never know when you might post something that helps people later down the road! Thanks again!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Battery died on our 94' E32 and our backup was corrupt, I was able to get through a few issues, but I get this same 'M02 NEED R.P. RTN 0004' 3 different times, when I select 17 to attempt the zero return, I still can't jog it because of the Alarm, any thoughts on what to do next? I have read all 3 of our manuals and can't find any help in them or online, how did you do your E32?

DUG

Hello.. We are looking for parameters of Citizen L20 5-axis CNC Swiss Sliding Head Machine with Mitsubishi Medlas 300 control from 1997.
    Let me know if anyone could provide us with it.. Thanks Regards