585,589 active members*
2,791 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Tape Punch - Reader

We currently use a tape reader on our CNC Amada Turret and have approx 20,000 tapes in-house. We would like to convert to a different mode of data transfer, but at this time our existing GNT-4601 tape punch / reader is not working so we have no way to read all of the tapes into our computer to store the programs. Nor can we punch new tapes at this time! We would like to purchase a refurbished GNT tape punch if anyone has one out there?? Any other suggestions?? Am I even in the correct forum? Thanks!

Wooh, 20,000 tapes? That is going to take some time to transcribe to PC.
    I built a convertor some time ago from a Fanuc reader to RS232 for reading in parameter tapes.
    But anything Tape reader/punch is going to be rare now.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Maybe somthing down the bottom of the page can read them.
    Tape Punches, Switch Boxes, CNC - Punch Cables, RS232C, USB
    this was found after a real quick look so there may be others out there for
    you to look for.
    You might also ask if they have/know of a service to convert your tapes onto something else.
    regards

Thanks to both of you! Yes, we do have many tapes having been in the custom manufacturing business for over 30 years. Many of these tapes will not be utilized again, but we don't want to lose the info if we need it so hoping to convert at least all of the parts that are repeat for current customers and common products. Thanks again and do you know of an area within this website to post for refurbished tape punches/readers? Occasionally they do show up on ebay or with surplus companies when factories shut down or upgrade. Thanks again!

I think you are asking the right group, but it may take some time to get a solution.

i know of a tape reader or two that are still in service, but I don't think they are for sale.

You could possibly have them run your tapes into computer files, for a fee.

Or you could shop ebay and used dealers for any tape reader.

do you know how to use rs-232 terminal programs? if not you might need some help.

You could hire a professional DNC service company that could set you up and translate your tapes, but that's likely to be considerably expensive.

good luck to you!

Thanks so much for replies. We currently have capability to transfer programs into machine utilizing a laptop for transfer. ie. there is a small amount of memory at machine with two options for communicating programs - tape reader and usb connection. We are not dead in the water, but we do see a need to get our tape communication back up and running to salvage our old tapes. While we could outsource the conversion of the tapes, it would likely be less expensive and time consuming if we could find a refurbished/new tape reader punch that would meet our need on demand. We will keep looking and hopefully someone on here will have one they would like to part with. Thanks again for all of your replies and suggestions!

Hi wescan1,

You may be in luck!

PM me

Cheers

Grant