585,877 active members*
3,533 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Help with getting started

Hi Chaps, I'm hoping to pick the brains of you experienced types.
    I've just bought myself a chinese laser and I'm struggling to work out how to use moshidraw. I've linked everything up and it cuts out their example fine but I can't seem to work out how to import my files so they cut.

I managed to get one of our logo's to engrave but I can seem to get a line art bmp to do anything. Where am I going wrong?

Basically I wanted to try out some small flat packed houses, I designed them in the trial version of corel and saved as a bmp(for moshidraw 9,2) and as a wmf (for moshidraw 2012), they open up in moshidraw 2012 but it doesn't do anything but cut a rectangle.

Does anyone know of any tutorials that can help.

Please don't say I should have bought lasercut, I know its better but I can't afford it, I will be upgrading to a different board when I know more about them.

The lasers I use (Made in USA) use a vector for cutting and a bitmap (picture) for engraving. Maybe that is your problem?

Matt

Oh there's a thought, I'll check it out, cheers.

If you are using MoshiDraw 9.xx then you should save the file as a PLT and use that to do a cutout. Or you could do the drawing in Corel (vector drawing) and use the link on the Corel screen that you create when setting up Moshi. I am on SKYPE as milton.maxson a lot of the time. I have used Moshi for about 6 months and may be able to help you out

Milt

I'm using Moshidraw 2012.

To get from Corel to Moshi save as a .dxf version R14 and it works fine.

Hi, thanks for all your help so far guys, I downloaded a copy of coreldraw 12 from the laser website and moshi claims to have linked successfully, but I can't see any difference in corel.

I tried the PLT but it claimed it was too big, anyone know the maximum size and tips on reducing the file size? Basically for that test I scanned in some tokens out of a rulebook, I wanted to laser etch. SO it was a scan which I changed to greyscale, I was looking to process it further so it was just line art, I may have to ask my other half to convert it graphic design really isn't my strong point.

Thanks pippin, I couldn't get moshi2012 to do a damn thing I'll have to try that file format.

Thanks again guys I appreciate it.

I have not been on my machine in over 2 weeks due to a blown resistor, but I wil try to help. In Corel you should see the link to moshi. It is small and consists of a small square that says 'BMP' an one the says 'PLT" and a square with some kind of tool in it. For it to work as a plt file, it must be a vector drawing, as it is going to cutout only the outline of each part. You can also save the drawing file as a PLT and then go to Moshi and in the output (?) dropdown, choose 'not selection', this should take you to the next page. Click on the PLT radio button and from here you should be able to load the PLT file of your choice. I am not 100% sure of the above, I will try to get out to my machine and check.

Milt

Hi, thanks for all the suggestions, I managed to get some cutting done today, the dxf file worked a treat. The only problem, now I've worked out why bits were missing (wrong file type when I made the drawing) is that I get some weird random horizontal lines when I've opened in moshi, they don't appear in corel, I can't work out why they are there.

Edit-
    Managed to get around it using a plt file, so I'm a happy bunny, thanks guys you really did help a newb.

On a different note instead of me starting a new thread I'll continue on a tangent here. I've read a lot about people upgrading their chinese lasers with electronics that run on mach3 and the like. I'm not thinking of doing it yet, I'll get more familiar with it first, but my question is whats the interface like? Is it similar to moshidraw where you create a drawing in corel etc then import it to mach 3? Or does mach 3 sit in the background and you send it to the laser direct from corel as you would a printer? That last one sounds least likely, but you never know.

Finally do you get something like this or is something different or extra needed?

Would it be a direct replacement for the internals of the laser kind of plug and play or is there all sorts of soldering and bodging required?

Thanks for your patience if you've read this, I'm very much in love with lasering now
    Tim.

Aghh, typical, just as I get used to creating usable files, the bloody tube dies on me. I must have used it for 3hrs max, 5mins here n there over the weekend. If the seller won't give me a new one where's the best place to get a 40w tube in the uk?

Twosoc, I'd be interested to see how you get on with your cutter as I'm looking at one of the cheap chinese ones myself.

It's on ebay at the moment, but they are apparently in Portsmouth, (it totals about £500, so I'd like reassurance on the imported machines before I commit the cash)

btw I'm just down the road from you in Atherton

-Jim

I'd imagine that it would be the same place we got ours from. I'm quite happy with the machine as it stands, it did take a bit to get the alignment right and realising the lens was the wrong way up helped too. Be prepared to align the bed slightly, it was off by a couple of mil and needed to be squared up, nothing too taxing.

Also take photo's of everything that goes wrong it will save you time, video if you can. They've just promised me a new tube but they'd like a photo of the tube not working to see if anything needs to be adjusted. Not helpful as they take a day to reply due to the time difference. But I guess I can understand their reluctance to send out a new tube.

Its really well wrapped and comes quickly, the physical setup is easy, just take out all the foam from the tube compartment the install wasn't too bad but it took a while to locate the machine drivers, they get installed in the moshidraw folder so just get the hardware installer to look there. Then I'd suggest downloading moshidraw 2012 from the website, as it seems to work with plt files much better. the one that came with the machine wouldn't load the mas it said they were too big.

I'd say if you get a good tube or don't mind waiting for a replacement then its worth it, I've got another thread on upgrading it to be controlled completely through the software,
    that might make this very useable.