585,754 active members*
3,801 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > A Question For Power Drawbar Users

A Question For Power Drawbar Users

I don't have a Tormach, but I do have a Chi-wanese Bridgeport clone I've CNC'd, including a unique power drawbar that uses a stepper motor to tighten and loosen the drawbar, allowing my to swap R8 and TTS tools with almost equal ease. I'm curious if any of the Tormach PDB users ever have problems with the collet not popping free. About once a week, I find I have to remove the collet, and wipe a little grease on the taper, or the tool will not release when the PDB activates.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Hi Ray,

I haven't had a problem with sticking as you described, but I'm not certain if by popping free, you mean opening enought to release a tool shank, or dropping out of the spindle? Most Tormach users with PDB's, use TTS tooling and most of the time, don't actually remove the collet. I use anti-seize compound, as recommended by Tormach, rather than grease, you might want to give that a try. You probably know already, but you can get a small tube at almost any automotive store, I use Permatex brand, but I would think almost any brand would work equally well.
    Good Luck
    Terry

I never had a problem. yet I only have 300 hours on my mill. Lots of tool changes though cuz most of my work is MDI and one type proto types or odd things other shops wont do. Remember the old Timax commercials? Where they put the watch on cat tracks and it keeps on ticking? Thats they type of work I do. I even made an addapter to go from 3/4" to 1" tooling and still holds up. The one problem I had machining harden steel was the tool holder pulling out. That problem has been cured, now all runs 110%

That sounds very interesting. Would it be possible to post some photos of the mechanism?

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by HimyKabibble View Post
    .... including a unique power drawbar that uses a stepper motor to tighten and loosen the drawbar

I'm not Ray, but have read his drawbar thread over here.

Randy

I don't have a Tormach, but I do have a Chi-wanese Bridgeport clone I've CNC'd, including a unique power drawbar that uses a stepper motor to tighten and loosen the drawbar, allowing my to swap R8 and TTS tools with almost equal ease. I'm curious if any of the Tormach PDB users ever have problems with the collet not popping free.
    It's not an issue. The Tormach's design pushes on the drawbar, and so the collet is pushed out of the taper. Occasionally the collet begins to stick, and makes a snapping sound as it comes out of the taper. That's a sign that it's time to add some more lubricant to the collet.

Frederic

Thanks for that Randy.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by TXFred View Post
    It's not an issue. The Tormach's design pushes on the drawbar, and so the collet is pushed out of the taper. Occasionally the collet begins to stick, and makes a snapping sound as it comes out of the taper. That's a sign that it's time to add some more lubricant to the collet.

Frederic
    Mine presses down on the drawbar as well, but perhaps just not with as much force as the Tormach PDB.

I'll give anti-sieze a try. I have some around here somewhere, but hate using it, because it seems to have an uncanny ability to get all over EVERYTHING, no matter how little you use.

Thanks!

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by philbur View Post
    That sounds very interesting. Would it be possible to post some photos of the mechanism?

Phil
    I've been using the drawbar for a month or more now, and could not be happier. With the exception of the occasional stuck collet, it has worked flawlessly, and makes tool changes quick and painless. No problems at all with generating more than enough torque to keep the tool in place. It's only exhibited pull-out once, and that was before I'd gotten the software finished, and it had not properly tightened that one tool. Otherwise, it has been pretty much perfect, and it's really nice being able to swap both TTS and R8 tools in and out with equal ease (R8s just take a few seconds longer).

Regards,
    Ray L.

I got the PDB when I bought my machine. So far the only problem I have had was the flange that screws on to the spindle shaft has come loose and spun up the shaft so high that the PDB wouldn't/couldn't release the TTS holder.

A good cleaning and a little blue locktite fixed that problem about 6 months ago and I haven't had a problem since. I take the R8 collet out about once a month to clean it and reapply antiseize around the taper and the 7/16-20threads.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

Is it not possible to design a captured drawbolt arrangement such that it is restricted from moving upward as it is unscrewed, thus pushing the collet downward.

Phil

With the exception of the occasional stuck collet, it has worked flawlessly, and makes tool changes quick and painless. .

Quote Originally Posted by philbur View Post
    Is it not possible to design a captured drawbolt arrangement such that it is restricted from moving upward as it is unscrewed, thus pushing the collet downward.

Phil
    Phil,

Yes, it certainly is, and, as long as there is enough air pressure, that is what mine is intended to do. But when the collet gets stuck, it sometimes gets REALLY stuck.

Regards,
    Ray L.

I think a simple fix for the flange would me to add 2 or 3 more set screws. I plan on doing exactly that when I get the job I am working on finished.
    You can buy GOOD PARTS or you can buy CHEAP PARTS, but you can't buy GOOD CHEAP PARTS.

With a lefthand threaded cap with a hole attached to top of spindle a drawbar can react against this to eject, and the unscrewing action won't unscrew the cap by friction. Guaranteed to release. It is almost foolproof.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

Ray,

Have you seen Tormach's white paper on collet slip? It suggests using anti seize on the collet: http://www.tormach.com/uploads/163/T...lding-pdf.html

bob

Quote Originally Posted by neilw20 View Post
    With a lefthand threaded cap with a hole attached to top of spindle a drawbar can react against this to eject, and the unscrewing action won't unscrew the cap by friction. Guaranteed to release. It is almost foolproof.
    Almost only counts in horse shoes, hand grenades and atom bombs.