585,712 active members*
4,439 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Lathes > Haas tl-2 profile face groove

Haas tl-2 profile face groove

I'm trying to figure out how to machine a profile facegroove with a tradition facegroove tool. In the conversational programming there are tabs to machine internal and external groves but nothing on face grooving. I'm pretty sure I can figure out how to program a square face groove but I just can't get a profile facegroove. I can draw the profile but when I select the tool and apply the tooling it just follows the profile no pecking or anything. I don't have access to
    Master am an I am not good enough to write it out long hand. Thanks!

Since you failed to upload a drawing or a sketch, no idea what you are really trying to do. You can try G73 profiling and/or G74 grooving cycles.

Basically I'm trying to face groove. How is it done. More specifically a face groove with radius an angles not just a three side square groove

I've only done this a few times using manual programming, but those times I used the G72 cycle. Check it out in the Haas lathe manual...depending on the vintage of the control you can get away with some complex shapes without having to deal with pilot holes and other preparatory features.

Still no sketch or drawing. Use G74 cycle according to Haas manual to rough. Leave material to program a finish pass.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails g74_1.jpg   g74_2.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Trex90 View Post
    I'm trying to figure out how to machine a profile facegroove with a tradition facegroove tool. In the conversational programming there are tabs to machine internal and external groves but nothing on face grooving. I'm pretty sure I can figure out how to program a square face groove but I just can't get a profile facegroove. I can draw the profile but when I select the tool and apply the tooling it just follows the profile no pecking or anything. I don't have access to
    Master am an I am not good enough to write it out long hand. Thanks!
    If you are trying to use the conversational programming tools to do this, I am not sure they have included that specific task. (I could be wrong though)

Most likely you will need to figure out how to program it manually. Time to get friendly with the book.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by haastec View Post
    ......Time to get friendly with the book.

Good luck!
    Time to get a diagram posted as requested. I have been running a TL2 for years and if I cannot program a part manually probably it cannot be done manually. Get a diagram with dimensions up here and I can probably give some advice.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

I no longer have the print I was able to program it but it wasn't the fastest way. I'm have been running a Harrison alpha lathe for the past two years an just drew everything in alpha cam but now my shop got a tl-2 an no training an I'm the only one who can kinda run it. I'm. We to using g-code again so I guess it's just something I'm going to have to learn and get used to. I was just trying to use the conversational programming to program everything