586,024 active members*
4,064 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Multicam MG103 connection problem

I have a MG103 that I cannot get to connect to a computer. I am trying to connect via serial port. I do not have a Multicam cable. I have tried with a XP computer and a Window 2000 computer. I have tried MX32 and Multicam PPS.
    I have tried port settings 19200 Baud, even parity, 8 bits, 1 stop bit, none on flow control, receive to high, transmit to low and also baud at 9600 and none parity, plus a bunch of other setting combos. No luck. Tried taking the max202 chip from the barcode reader port and putting it in the host connection port. Nothing.
    Any other ideas, I would like to avoid having to buy a new mother board.

Thanks

Cable?

Hello

How are you wiring the cable? Many computer systems require RTS and CTS, also DTR, CD, and DSR linked .... before they will do anything.

(On a 25 way connector these will be 4 and 5 linked, and separately 6, 8, 20 I can never remember the pin numbers for a 9 pin connector .... sorry)

Regards

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rgammage View Post
    Hello

How are you wiring the cable? Many computer systems require RTS and CTS, also DTR, CD, and DSR linked .... before they will do anything.

(On a 25 way connector these will be 4 and 5 linked, and separately 6, 8, 20 I can never remember the pin numbers for a 9 pin connector .... sorry)

Regards

Richard
    Do you mean the port on the computer? It is just wired the way they come from the factory. On the machine side it is the way it was when we got it but it has never worked. I am just using a DB9 cable from Radio Shack. Sorry completely clueless when it comes to computer port wiring. More guidance would be great.
    Thanks responding to my post.

Hello Romper

The problem with off the shelf cables is that they rarely state how they are wired and again Multicam may also not tell you what to give it.

Most computers now that have serial cables have a 9 pin connector with 2 rows of pins
    sticking out of it ...... I do not know what the Multicam has, perhaps you can have a look?

From the PC the side with 5 pins on it are numbered 1 - 5 when the side with 4 pins is towards you.

1 2 3 4 5
    6 7 8 9

If the Multicam has the same sort of connector you will almost certainly need what is often called a null-modem cable, if they both have 9 pins but are different you may just need an extention cable.

Pin 5 is ground, the reference for all the other signals, If you were to measure from this pin to pin 3 you should read a voltage on the PC, if you measure the same on the Multicam you will definitely need a null modem cable, it is also referred to as a cross over cable. (The voltage can be between 6 and 10 volts)

A Null modem cable is wired

2 - 3
    3 - 2
    5 - 5
    ............... as an absolute minimum, and may need:
    6 - 4 - 1 ....... 6 - 4 - 1 on each side
    7 - 8 ........... 7 - 8 on each side
    to work ..... if Multicam requires hardware handshake we may have to wire it differently.

Try this first.

Richard

From the Multicam users manual.

The following is the pin out for the MultiCam serial cable. In both cases, Pin #9 is not used.
    Computer End, DB9 Female
    Pin # Color
    1 (not used)
    2 Red
    3 Blue
    4 White
    5 Yellow
    6 Black
    7 Orange
    8 Brown
    Machine End
    Pin# Color
    1 (not used)
    2 Blue
    3 Red
    4 Black
    5 Yellow
    6 White
    7 Brown
    8 Orange

From this does it seem that a standard cable will not work?

Hello Romper

Assuming the 9 pin at the machine end is female as well (which the email I received confirms .. but the posting does not), then this is close to being a 'Null Modem Cable' (which I would also expect to work).... the one thing I learnt 30 odd years ago is that there is no such thing as a standard RS232 (serial) cable.

I suspect the cable you have bought, that does not work, is not wired like this .....

Get yourself an inexpensive multimeter and bell out the cable you bought using two paper clips to aid contact.

Regards

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by rgammage View Post
    Hello Romper

Assuming the 9 pin at the machine end is female as well (which the email I received confirms .. but the posting does not), then this is close to being a 'Null Modem Cable' (which I would also expect to work).... the one thing I learnt 30 odd years ago is that there is no such thing as a standard RS232 (serial) cable.

I suspect the cable you have bought, that does not work, is not wired like this .....

Get yourself an inexpensive multimeter and bell out the cable you bought using two paper clips to aid contact.

Regards

Richard
    Richard,

The previous owners of my machine found the cable that they used and are sending it to me. I should have it tomorrow. Hopefully it will work.

Thanks for your help,
    Morgan

I got the Multicam Cable and problem is solved.
    Thanks!