584,814 active members*
5,180 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

slaving axis'

I'm looking to slave to axis together, but it's a little different than usual.

I use a stepper as a spindle on a pool cue turning machine, and would like to have 2 spindles. They would need to be slaved as they could both turn at the same speed, but the slave function only allows slaving of the linear axis, X Y Z, not the A axis or a spindle.

Anyone try this?

Could it be something setup in Brains?

Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Royce Bunnell
    Pool Cues | Billiards and Pool Cues | OB Cues

If both spindles need to do exactly the same, send the same step and directions to both drivers. As no homing switches are need I see no reason why this won't work.
    If you want to control them individually at times you could allocate a outputs to enable each drive.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

Neilw20

Thanks!

Yes, both spindles will do the same.

I wasn't sure if the PC parallel outputs could drive 2 stepper driver chips at once. I'm certainly not a TTL guy! I just don't want to smoke anything.

I'll have to give it a try.

Thanks again

Royce Bunnell

Worst case it would just not work, it wouldn't smoke anything. If you care to be sure, you could use a buffer chip to be sure you have enough current. Put the same input signal to 2 inputs and use 1 output for each stepper drive.

I'm not sure of your machine configuration but it may be easier to simply tie the two spindles together with a timing belt and pulley.

Matt

Matt,

Actually, that's what I have now, a belt between 2 spindles turned by one stepper.

I use routers to do the cutting with a slot cutter against the spinning pool cue shaft. The trouble is that, because of how they are mounted, the routers are turning opposite directions. The left router cuts down, against the headstock, but the right router turns up away from the headstock and against a spring loaded tail stock. It unloads the cut and slips too much. I have plenty of steppers and an extra driver on this control so I'd like to just add a stepper to that side and swap ends with the headstock.

I'll give it a try, and try the buffer chip if it doesn't work for some reason.

Thanks

Royce Bunnell

machine specs and software

I am trying to reproduce this machines capabilities.

Would you post your machine specs and some pics.

List of software would also be helpfule.

Thanks Jack

Legacy CNC Woodworking - Artisan II CNC

Quote Originally Posted by hollisin View Post
    I am trying to reproduce this machines capabilities.

Would you post your machine specs and some pics.

List of software would also be helpfule.

Thanks Jack

Legacy CNC Woodworking - Artisan II CNC
    I don't have an easy way to get pics, but here's some basic information on the machine.

It's an upright rectangular frame of 8020 with rails on the inside of the long uprights. The shuttle rides along those rails, up and down which is my X axis. On the shuttle is a short movement for my Y axis.

I have 2 routers, one mounted on each side of the shuttle. X moves them up and down, Y moves them in and out. I mounted small dovetails lathe beds on the frame with head stocks and tail stocks from Taig tools.

It's stepper driven using Mach3. This machine has an old Xylotex control, but most of my machines have been switched to the Gecko drives.

Royce Bunnell