585,715 active members*
3,870 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Help Repair ball screw

How to put ball into nut of ball screw?

It depends on the model of ballscrew.
    If it has recirculation tubes, remove them and install the balls with some grease, and reinstall the tube.
    If it doesn't have a recirculation tube, it's a bit trickier, but it can usually be done. I'm hoping you have all of the balls from the nut. Start by making a mandrel. Measure the minor diamater of the ballscrew thread (root diamater), and turn a piece of soft metal (like aluminum) to this OD. Once it's the proper OD, drill a hole in the middle that will allow it to slide over the end of the ballscrew up to the threads. Put the mandrel in the ballnut, and start inserting the balls from one end, and fill up the helix. Then slode the nut fully over the mandrel, and the balls should not be able to fall out, as the mandrel keeps them in place. Then slide the mandrel over the end of the ballscrew, and thread it on. We do this quite often where I work, and it does take some technique, but you should get it eventually.

Good luck!

Hope this helps.
    NEATman

thanks for your help. this is my ballscrew pic. what is ball screw type.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 5BF40086.jpg   5BF40087.jpg   5BF40088.jpg  

This is the "easy" type- The recirculation tubes are clearly seen in the first picture.

But, what are you trying to accomplish? The nut is pictured on the screw. Are you trying to replace the balls, or remove the nut and then reinstall it? Did these balls fall out because the nut was to close to the end of the screw? Are you sure you have all of the balls if this is the case?

If this is what happened, you need to figure out which half of the nut lost the balls. This is really two nuts, with a spacer in between to eliminate the backlash. I would start by carefully removing the (4) phillips screws from the recirculation tube clamp, and carefully remove one of the "U" shaped tubes. This is best done over a clean metal tray, like a baking pan. That way it's easy to hear a ball fall out, and to find it later. Check if the tube is full, if it is, then this is not the circuit that lost the balls. Use grease to hold the balls in place when you replace the tube. When you find the tube with too few balls, reinstall them and replace the tube.

NEATman

NEATman, thanks you alots , i was comlete put ball into nut, but i didn't care that reason i destroy one The recirculation tubes . now just 2 The recirculation tubes i use for haft nut. hic hic.

Ball screw reassembly

CAUTION: First you should measure each and every ball (seriously!!!). :idea:

Reason: sometimes they put two sized balls into the ball channel. If that's the case, you install them big-small-big-small etc.

This helps keep them from getting jammed up as they roll. The small ball acts like an "idler" gear.