585,758 active members*
4,369 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Silly Question

I have been using an older Thermwood Model 53, single tool machine for around 9 months now. I do not use the machine full time. I have been replacing the bits in it, but I was beginning to be concerned about the collet.

To be truthful, I do not know how often a collet needs to be replaced. Normally, when I change bits, I just loosen the tool holder nut until it releases the bit. But I assumed the whole nut will have to be removed to replaced.

I took the whole nut off and looked at the tool holder. The problem is that the collet (which still looks like it is in pretty good shape) is locked into the holder by a key slot. It won't come out. I assumed that some kind of special tool might be needed to compress and remove the collet, but everyone I know says there is no tool needed, and they look at me quizically when I tell them the collet will not release.

My question is, how do I get the collet out of the tool holder? Do I need a special tool?

Here's a vid of the router in question...
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wE3dpD6n2LU]CNC Router 9-30-2011 - YouTube[/ame]

If it is an ER collet, it should be held in by a little spring clip. You should be able to pop it out by forcing the collet off at an angle. That will pop one side of the collet loose and then the retention spring will slip right off the collet and allow it to come free.

ER collet-lock nut assembly instructions by Craftsman Industries, Inc.

Matt