585,752 active members*
4,160 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Stepper Motor Problems

Hey Guys, I recently bought 3 of the following motors from Automation Technology Inc..

High-Torque Stepper Motor, Stepper Motor, Driver, Stepper Motor kit, DC Servo Motor, DC Servo Motor kit, Stepper Motor Power Supply, CNC Router, Spindle, and other Components. Automation Technology Inc

two were purchased first and are working fine, however the third one was deleivered about 3 days ago and only after I installed it in the machine I began having problems on the Z axis in which it was installed.

after inspection the motor turns with the stepper indentation but kinda hard, and if you give the shaft a quick rotational snap it frees the movement up, however when the motor is connected back, as soon as the stepper signal in applied the motor siezes again.

I think the rotor assembly is touching the winding assembly and was wondering how to fix this? the bearing does not give any noticable play and I was thinking of sanding the inside of the motor assembly to see if that will help (probably the tolerance to the rotor is too tight)..

The company is not replying to my emails in a timely fashion and I need to finish this project, I have a great deal of time and money invested.

Thanks in advance for any help guys, and look out for the build thread with pics soon

Quote Originally Posted by dj_nexxus View Post
    Hey Guys, I recently bought 3 of the following motors from Automation Technology Inc..

High-Torque Stepper Motor, Stepper Motor, Driver, Stepper Motor kit, DC Servo Motor, DC Servo Motor kit, Stepper Motor Power Supply, CNC Router, Spindle, and other Components. Automation Technology Inc

two were purchased first and are working fine, however the third one was deleivered about 3 days ago and only after I installed it in the machine I began having problems on the Z axis in which it was installed.

after inspection the motor turns with the stepper indentation but kinda hard, and if you give the shaft a quick rotational snap it frees the movement up, however when the motor is connected back, as soon as the stepper signal in applied the motor siezes again.

I think the rotor assembly is touching the winding assembly and was wondering how to fix this? the bearing does not give any noticable play and I was thinking of sanding the inside of the motor assembly to see if that will help (probably the tolerance to the rotor is too tight)..

The company is not replying to my emails in a timely fashion and I need to finish this project, I have a great deal of time and money invested.

Thanks in advance for any help guys, and look out for the build thread with pics soon
    Have you tried calling? It would be difficult if not impossible to disassemble and reassemble the stepper, without losing performance...

Thats my problem I live outside the US, I live in Trinidad and the cost of dealing with tech support via the phone or sending the motor back would cripple my already depleted buget.

I don't like when I am taken advantage of and in the same breath, I like to give credit where it is due. with that said, Automation Technologies Inc contacted me and are working with me to have the situation resolved, I will keep you guys posted on the progress as good suppliers for both the USA and internationally are hard to find and it is alot of money being risked in the purchase of these parts.

I would like to be the first to admit there was a bit of miscommunication in the beginning but automation technologies ltd sorted everything out they made sure the problem was resolved a special thanks to John from Automation Tech., A class service! I will surely be doing further business with them.