584,829 active members*
5,330 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: HM 46 Perth

HM 46 Perth

Hi All,

I've been looking around and considering options for a while, I'd sort of decided on a HM 48 when good old Gumtree produced a HM 46 with a bucket load of tooling that had only been used on weekends by a little old man in a shed, for a ridiculously low price!

Said HM 46 will be making her way to my place tomorrow and thus will begin the fun times.

I've found a few threads on doing these so will be reading and re reading them with great interest.
    Holycross has already offered assistance/advice, he will be plied with alcohol at the appropriate time and hopefully before too long I'll be breaking tools and making wrong parts with great speed and precision.

Cheers
    Sneaky
    There are 10 types of people in the world
    Those of us who get binary, and those who don't.

Congrats

Sneaky,

Congrats on getting a machine. Definately run it manually until you
    get the parts for cnc. I made the mistake of taking my mill apart
    before and wish I had it to use manually.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Sneaky View Post
    Hi All,

I've been looking around and considering options for a while, I'd sort of decided on a HM 48 when good old Gumtree produced a HM 46 with a bucket load of tooling that had only been used on weekends by a little old man in a shed, for a ridiculously low price!

Said HM 46 will be making her way to my place tomorrow and thus will begin the fun times.

I've found a few threads on doing these so will be reading and re reading them with great interest.
    Holycross has already offered assistance/advice, he will be plied with alcohol at the appropriate time and hopefully before too long I'll be breaking tools and making wrong parts with great speed and precision.

Cheers
    Sneaky

Hi Mark,

I called into Hare And Forbes today and dropped nearly a grand on a half way decent vice, some measuring equipment and some basic tooling.

Trammed it all in and made a few chips this arvo, havin a ball doing nothing except making swarf, can't wait until I have some skills and can make something useful!!

Re: HM 46 Perth

*thread resurrection alert*

Hmmmm..... 4 years (we can't rush these things) and finally I placed an order last week, and yesterday I received my CNC kit from Homann Designs *Hi Peter*.
    1200 oz/inch steppers, ESS, Mach3. Nothing out of the ordinary.

The kitchen table was put to good use and about an hour after getting home from work I was spinning motors like a man possessed, nobody else in the house was impressed but who cares about them right?

Ballscrews are still to be ordered but for the immediate future I'm going to run with the standard screws and see if I have enough accuracy to make the bearing blocks etc, (I have pretty minimal backlash) if I don't then so be it, but if the machine can make it's own parts that would be awesome

I will try to take photos etc, if it all looks reasonable I will start a build thread.

Anyone else in Perth doing or done a build?

Wow....after 4 years I would think most have passed away or died from lack of interest.........have a good day, once you are into the CNC thing it's a whole new world.
    Ian.

I'm only using an OmioCNC router - for now.

It has a bit of work to do at the moment but I have a new UC400ETH ethernet motion controller and a breakout to suit to fit to it, so I can (hopefully) run my bebby laser on it properly.

Also will give me a test bed for UCCNC vs Mach3 and a bit more practise fiddling about with stepper drivers and so on.

One day I know I'm going to want to step up from Aluminium and then I'll be going "where's that bloody thread of Sneaky's so I can find all the bits and tricks he used!"