585,663 active members*
3,056 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Bridgeport Machines > Bridgeport / Hardinge Mills > Help with MTI-1, FAC-1R (KTK) Spindle Drive on BPort Interact 1 MkII

Help with MTI-1, FAC-1R (KTK) Spindle Drive on BPort Interact 1 MkII

This looks like a typical issue with the interact 1 mk 2 spindle.

My spindle fan turns on OK when you press cycle start.
    I program S100, M03, press cycle start, hear the contactor, but the spindle wont start.

I've replaced the cap underneath the medium sized xformer on my MTI-1 board, along with two resistors and two diodes.

I get the INS TRIP light after I give the spindle on command.

I've got the bport maintenance manual, but I'm certain it doesn't cover the issue I've got here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. The machine is in otherwise very good shape.

I've seen that George has put out the KTK drive maintenance manual to others in the past, I would really appreciate a copy of these materials, it appears to have helped pretty much everyone before.

[email protected]

Also, does anyone know of a good way to test phase rotation? Im running on a 20 hp RPC, i've already tried swapping some leads, but with no result yet. It would be good to know a test procedure to KNOW that i've got the phase rotation correct.

thanks guys.

Verified phase rotation OK

I checked with my RPC supplier, and with the incoming mains terminals in the machine, and the phase rotation is OK, yet, still get the INS TRIP lamp on the FAC1R. I suppose someone may have reversed some wires in the past if they rebuilt the spindle drive / motor, but I think it to be unlikely.

I still need assistance from someone who's been through this with the KTK FAC1R, and MTI1 boards.

Greg B has helped me out a little bit so far with this, he says that his transformer upgrade on the MTI-1 board happened long ago, and the info is buried some where.

Greg, your personal message box is full so I hope you don't mind continuing our conversation here.

There is a pretty good electronics surplus / junk yard near me that will likely have a compatible transformer. I would greatly appreciate it if you find those transformer specs to help with my spindle drive. Did George / machinetek ever send to you the KTK maintenance manual and notes that he has? I've contacted him, but haven't heard back yet. If you have those files, the answer might be in there.

Thanks for your time on this. I got the machine about two weeks ago, from a machinery dealer who got it from a well known client, who had used it for a long time. Someone isn't telling the truth about the spindle working and when it failed and who saw it fail.. But I am confident that it's the MTI-1 board. I measured the thyristor (SCR) last night on the board and believe that it is faulty too.

- Joe

Sounds like the story I got when I purchased mine,got a bit of a shock when I got a spindel drive fault alarm those caps and resistor replacement for memory are also a common replacement.Send me your email address and I will try and dig up the transformer imfo that we had made here.Regards Greg.

[email protected]

Thanks a lot, im dead in the water still

The KTK drives are phase sensitive.If the drive doesn`t see the phase rotation as it expects to see it,you will get exactly the fault you are getting.
    This was well documented in previous threads.

Smile Spindle back online!

The MTI-1 board had blown diode, D3

The diode D4 looked like it got pretty hot, resistors R11, R12 also looked like they got pretty hot.

I replaced all of these, and the Capacitor C6.

I powered up the board, spindle fan came on and ...INS TRIP.

I swapped my phase leads around on my RPC to match L1, L2, L3 inside the power cabinet on the interact 1, powered up the machine, and INS TRIP.

I was pretty discouraged at this point. I then proceeded to make measurements with the board powered up, which was not done carefully. I managed to short the thyristor (SCR) K (cathode) to ground and blew both 5A fuses above the transformer on the MTI-1.

Fuses replaced, phase leads L1, L2 swapped inside my RPC cabinet, and what do you know, the damn thing turns!! I can do 40 RPM, 1000 RPM, 4000 RPM whatever I want!

Thanks for your input guys, I would not have gotten this done quickly without your help.

Additionally, I ordered some KIFA type metalized film caps to replace the old ones on the MTI-1 and THY1R boards, as they're all looking aged / cracked slightly. Everyone warns that they'll smoke. I was able to find them at mouser.

Thanks again,

- Joe

Hi Guys, I know this is an old thread so apologies for bringing it up again. Im having the same issue with my Interact MK2 and am in desperate need of the KTK manual and the maintenance course notes if any of you would kindly be able to forward them to me ? My email address is [email protected]
    Thank you so much
    James