585,974 active members*
4,229 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Kollmorgen AKD

Hi,
    I'm hoping someone out there has had experience using Kolllmorgen AKD drives. They're Kollmorgen's newer series of drives, and instead of the serial connection used by their servostar drives for communicating/configuring/etc, they've got an ethernet connection instead. I've been trying to get these things up and running, but so far no dice: what I get back is an error/fault message: "F104" which indicates theres an issue w the FPGA/software/etc. The net result is that when I launch the workbench utility the program doesn't locate any drive connected via network, so (obviously) I'm stymied straight outta the gate before I can even get to tuning any connected motor. Of course this all happens at the beginning of the weekend, so no chance contacting Kollmorgen tech support, so I'm really hoping someone rading through these forums might be able to help me sort this out (any help at all would be wildly appreciated) . Thanks in advance

hee hee... we sell these

F104 is bad; this a used drive you bought on ebay cheap? maybe this is the reason?

not sure this should stop communicating tho; the fpga is used for such things as commutation control and stuff; I would think you should still communicate. hav you ever talked to a akd successfully? I would more than likely suggest you have a ethernet IP address issue instead..... r u on the internet? want me to poke in via teamviiewer and run ur compuoter for a few minutes to see if I can get communications for you?
    I am in&out today and will check post every now and again... if so then email me at address in my sig below with a couple possible times today and I will send u a free invite to teamviewer.

Hello,
    Yeah, this would be a cheap-hot-offa-ebay "deal".I think I screwed up w my description though: looking at it again, its entirely possible the fault code is 401, and I read it wrong at first. Either way, that doesnt seem like it'd be cause for the issue I described (there are 2 drives actually, and I've only had time to wire up one HD subd 15 connector to try out, so I have no prob seeing why F401 would show up on both). If it is a feedback issue, I don't understand how that'd render any communication over ethernet nul and void.... Ok, rambling aside, I'd happily accept your remote control take-over in order to get somewhere with this. Really, anytime thats good for you: I'm in my shop today, so you just tell me when...
    and thanks

it is now 6:30 est. wanna go for 7pm? if so email me so I can send u invite. tell me when u email so I know to look in spam folder if I dont see u

Emailing you now...

glad you and your drive are now talking! let me know if you need any more help.

uuuuuhhhhh... might need a little more help with this one. the communication issue seems like its all squared away, thanks to your help. I'm running into a new issue though: I cannot seem to get the hardware enabled on the drive. Plus, theres a seeming inconsistency w the drive reporting its status: I'll clearly have an F401(feedback etc) fault displayed on the 7 segment LED on the face of the drive, but work bench won't indicate anywhere that I've got a fault. Or,it will, I'll input motor/feedback parameters, etc, and then everything will seem fine w workbench but the fault will still be on the drive itself. Plus, I can't get the setup wizard to ever "un-gray" or become an active link that I can click on/access. In addition (sorry, but I got the feeling this all essentially symptoms of the same problem) I'll get contradictory online/offline info at various spots on workbench's screen. In one area it'll say the drive's offline, while in another it'll say it's online. I've been going w "offline" though, since that's what the terminal screen reads if I try to input DRV.EN, in order to overcome the zero-HW-enable issue. All in all, this things got me seriously confused, so If there's any possibility of imposing further for a little more guidance resolving this, I'd be (as always) deeply grateful.

oh yeah, I also never sleep, so honestly: ANY time thats convenient for you, is perfect...

Quote Originally Posted by banksviolette View Post
    1 I cannot seem to get the hardware enabled on the drive.
    2) Plus, theres a seeming inconsistency w the drive reporting its status
    3),it will, I'll input motor/feedback parameters, etc, and then everything will seem fine w workbench but the fault will still be on the drive itself.
    4) Plus, I can't get the setup wizard to ever "un-gray" or become an active link that I can click on/access.
    5)overcome the zero-HW-enable issue.
    gotta run to a 200amp drive startup in cinti so short time right now.

1) u gotta put +24 into the hw enable input - with respect to its common - sorry cant remember pins right now - see manual it shud be clear? missing manual? goto kollmorgen.com and click thru to akd for all the manuals (and firmware upgrade - but dont do tht till u got it running
    2)never heard or seen this so maybe just getting used to getting around. once it communicates it should never lose communications unless u cycle power - and when u do u WILL loose comm and have to connect again. dont cycle power during a session
    3) that how it works; fault clear with fault clear button only
    4)hmmmm not sure what is issue here never saw it.....anything in manual about this? btw, once u set variables u need to save to eeprom - button on top tool bar to keep em
    5) until you give it hw enable it will not run. u will see the red no hw enable turn green on bottom status bar when u get it.

I've got the connections to HW enable hooked up per K'morgen's instructions, so don't think that's the issue. I've gotten it where both HW and SW are enabled, going by the colored bars/"led"'s running on the bottom of the workbench screen, but in terminal and elsewhere it'll say the drive's offline, as well as not un-graying either startup wizard or letting me try moving anything. Sorry: I'm being vague, but thats really sorta the rough picture of the issue - it seems to be a number of oddball non-sequitur (digittal version) that I'm at a loss with. I'm going to try Kollmorgen's tech support soon as they're open for business: If i get anywhere, I'll letcha know. Thanks again,
    Banks
    (I now have the WKRP in cincinatti theme stuck in my head)

if in doubt about connectred or not prob not. to be sure go to feedback page and look at feedback position - move motor - is it changing? if not, u r not connected. get connected.

color of hw and sw enable mean nothing offline so that is prob the issue - not really on line. u gotta get grn on hw enable when for sure on line.

ok, if not connected, the setup wizard is grayed out. u r not connected. get connected to use it. sorry for rush gott go

I realize your offline, but I'm compulsively dear-diary-ing I guess, so here's the update. I switched from the laptop to the desktop, w the ethernet for the drive and the desktop both coming from my router. Weirdly, that seemed like it improved the situation, since now I clearly could see that I was connected/online with the drive, and the fault message from the drive's display was registering in work bench. However, the same drop down menu I was presented w using my laptop wasn't there and I couldn't can't seem to get it to re-surface. Which means I can't access the screens to input motor info or to check if the feedback is connected either. Dunno, the whole things a mystery

Whenever you do manage to check back in, just wanted to update you on the little progress I made: just got off the phone w Kollmorgen and apparently the drive has some sorta custom firmware loaded onto it. If I go into terminal, for example, and type DRV.INFO the first line that appears w the drive's name/model/etc, ends with a "-0054" which (at least) the super-nice woman I spoke w was unable to identify. She believes thats the root issue with these drives. as after an hour we weren't able to resolve the issue, or successfully update the firmware. Dunno, maybe you've got some suggestion for another avenue I might try in attempting a fix? Totally understand if this sounds like just too much of a headache, so no worries if you wanna take a pass on this one. Either way, thank you for all your help (again).

hmmmm..... perhaps you should email me the complete model no, serial nos, and complete info from terminal drv.info

I will find out what gives. And I assume you talked to Terri - a good engr & good troup

keep in mind what 'special firmware" is for - stuff like higher voltage, or lower voltage, or special 'name' in drv.info report, or or or.... it is not to make a drive not work. so even tho u have special, that should not make it not work!

wanna try a teamview session again tonight? email me time and new pw if so.... u r presenting a challenge I cannot ignore (dam_ u!)

PS: if you do any kind of instant messaging, just click on my top right post icon for the type u do and we can chat real time....

So, I just sent all the info that appeared in the terminal window when I entered the DRV.INFO command, so hopefully something in all of that will make some sense to you. I'm 100% available whenevr you've got the time, so just tell me what's most convenient for you and I'll get the teamviewer password, etc squared away (my apologies, but I don't use any PM service: given the choice, ideally, I'd roll everything back to carrier pigeons. Or messages, in little glass bottles. In oceans).
    Sorry, I'm rambling: again, I'm 100% at your disposal...

As a just-in-case, I'll go ahead and email the teamviewer info now (sorry: had to re-read your posts) and maybe we could should for 730, 0r 8? I'll check back in at both of those times, in addition to checking here first in case theres another time you'd prefer...

u can run windows software on an apple???? i am in, ur not there, and it's an apple! our software doesn't run on apples.... how you doing it?

Sorry: sent you an email saying I messed up and sent the teamviewer info from the wrong computer. I'm on my pc right now, and I emailed you the new teamviewer info: sorry about that. I cannot begin to tell you how much I hate Mac anything/everything: sorry you wandered into that wasteland via my screwup