585,599 active members*
3,692 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > HOW TO INSTALL FADAL SINGLE PHASE TRANSFORMER 813 OR 814

HOW TO INSTALL FADAL SINGLE PHASE TRANSFORMER 813 OR 814

I DID THIS SWAP OVER ALMOST A YEAR AGO AND I'M HAPPY TO REPORT THAT I HAVEN'T HAD ANY ISSUES OR PROBLEMS.

By mattsshots at 2012-06-26

WHEN I STARTED RESEARCHING THIS SWAP I FOUND OUT THAT THERE AT LEAST TWO DIFFERENT SINGLE PHASE TRANSFORMERS OFFERED OVER THE YEARS. IT DOESNT MATTER IF YOUR IF YOUR USING A 814 OR 813 LIKE I HAVE WITH THE EXTERNAL CIRCUIT BREAKER. BUT YOU MUST MAKE SURE YOU MATCH THE MOV SURGE SUPPRESSOR BOARD TO THE TRANSFORMER.

DISCONNECT THE MACHINE FROM POWER AND IF YOUR UNFAMILIAR WITH WIRING DIAGRAMS MAKE SURE TO TAKE PICTURES AND ADD ANY NECESSARY LABELS BEFORE YOU START UN-PLUGING WIRES. TO REMOVE THE OLD TRANSFORMER OR INSTALL THE NEW ONE GET A FORKLIFT OR ENGINE HOIST AND STRAP IT UP TIGHT!!! THEY ARE HEAVEY AND HAVE SHARP EDGES. ONCE YOUR SURE IT IS SECURE AND ALL WIRE ARE UN-PLUGED YOU CAN REMOVE THE 4 BOLD THAT HOLD IT IN THE BACK CABINET. THE WIRING IS NOT DIFFICULT JUST BE SUR TO PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO THE DIAGRAM AND CHECK YOUR VOLTAGE IS CORRECT FOR THE TAPS.

INSTALLED THE B-LEG IS NOT USED

DISCONNECT BOX

I will be picking up a 4020 (1990 or 1992) era machine in the next few weeks and want to order one of these so I can get the machine going as soon as it hit's my home shop. The shop doesn't have 3 phase.

It sounds like the 813 works with DC motors (according to fadalcnc). Does it only work with DC motors? I don't think it's going to be a problem for me since the 2 machines I'm looking at are earlier machines which should have dc, but want to clarify. If I don't end up getting one of those, I may be getting a later model with AC motors. When I called fadalcnc, he wasn't sure. Is there a single phase transformer that will work with AC motors?

Also, you said to match the MOV surge suppressor board to the machine. Do I need to order this board when I order the 813 or is t?

Thanks for your help! It is greatly appreciated!!!

I didn't need anything except a few pieces of very thin stranded wire I think it was number 6 welding cable that I used. They go between the disconnect bottom lugs to the wires that go up to the inverter. As for your surge suppressor board I didn't actually change mine to the Fadal recommended board. but since it was a board originally rated for 220 volts I knew it would be fine. I don't have the list in front of me, of the interchangeable boards but it is out there on the web.
    Changing these transformers is one of those things that will make you lose sleep at night until you actually do it. I worried about every little thing and it turned out great and wasn't all that difficult. but make sure you use a crane to lift it and strap it up tight before removing the old 3 phase monster they are upwards of 150 pounds and have sharp edges... I can imagine it would not fun if you dropped it.
    I more thing I just thought of.... when I first powered the machine up after the swap I handle jogged the table around and the y axis stopped working... after about an hour of freaking out I realized I blew the fuse on the Y axis board. which I attributed to not correctly cold starting the machine. later I had a similar experience with the coolant pump. again just a fuse. both of these issues were a year ago and haven't happened since but make sure you have an assortment of the common Fadal fuses on hand. Just in case the initial power up in single phase does have an effect. But it shouldn't I'm just telling you my experience.
    I love home machine on single phase. it is definitely the way to go over a rotary phase converter.
    I'M not always right... Once I thought I made a mistake.
    http://www.maderightonsize.com

Thanks for the help!!! I'll post my results after I get my machine converted in a few weeks.

Re: HOW TO INSTALL FADAL SINGLE PHASE TRANSFORMER 813 OR 814

Did you ever get the machine up and running?

What faults did you get when you first started I can't get my machine to jog, or my display on the invertor to light up?

Quote Originally Posted by narleyskier View Post
    What faults did you get when you first started I can't get my machine to jog, or my display on the invertor to light up?
    Did you ever figure this out?

I tried bypassing the transformer altogether and have similar faults. I'm considering just sticking with the three phase transformer. I'm not sure if the machine already has problems or if I'm just causing problems by bypassing the transformer.

Hi
    How you make out with your machine with change to single phase?
    I going pick up a FADAL 2016L this come week and i need change my too i only have single phase in my garage.
    Thank you for any help
    Wagner Damotta

Hi
    How you make out with your machine with change to single phase?
    I going pick up a FADAL 2016L this come week and i need change my too i only have single phase in my garage.
    Thank you for any help
    Wagner Damotta