585,967 active members*
4,454 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > Automation direct servo systems

Automation direct servo systems

Has anyone seen these complete brushless DC systems from automation direct?

http://www.sureservo.com/motors.htm

While not exactly cheap, they aren't too bad for a plug-in and ready to go AC servo, drive and powersupply package. Looks like they take step and direction inputs. I was going to go with a Brushed DC servos but I may take a closer look at these. I really like the idea of brushless but they seem a bit hit and miss matching drives and motors. In this case, at least you are guaranteed they work and you get a 2 year warranty.

Automation direct servo systems

I've been looking at the complete systems also. At first they do seem a little pricey but plug and play for the most part may justify a little extra cost.

When you add up the cost for Gecko or Rutex drives, power supply, brushed motors which may need encoders, capacitor and cable/wiring the cost difference is not a whole lot more. Depends a lot on the brushed motors that are used.

The drives do state that they accept step and direction pulse. Would they work well with Mach 3 and what else would be needed to connect to Mach 3? Would a breakout board be needed? What would be the function of the ZIPLink cable kit listed under accessories and would it be required to connect with Mach 3?

Thanks,
    Dave

Like you say, by the time you add up all the costs for the power supply, wires, fuses, connectors etc the price isn't much more than a DC brushed setup. Plus it is brushless which is superior from a cooling and maintenance point of view than brushed. I see no reason it won't work fine with Mach. This is what I plan to use. I will talk to them and get some more information.

You will still need a breakout board. I am not sure I would bother with the Ziplink cable or not.

I too am looking at these drives. I am wounder all the same stuff. Also if i Incorporated a PLC to do some of the homing and tool set functions.