584,842 active members*
4,196 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

How to test a Series I Bridgeport CNC mill?

I finally brought that Series I CNC Bridgeport to my warehouse.

It does power up.

Pictures are here:

Bridgeport Series 1

It does not complain of anything, however, I was pressing various
    buttons and I could not get it to do anything, such as move in X, Y,
    and Z.

I did take it out of E-Stop.

I am wondering if anyone has a manual for it, or a simple instruction
    like "press this and then press that button" to just get it to move
    and move the spindle.

I will eventually sell it. I personally own a Bridgeport Series II Interact 1 CNC mill, that I converted to Linux and EMC2, I am very happy with it, but one is enough.

But now, I need to test this Series I.

Thanks

Not sure about the series 1 but did you try the same process you use with the interact II?
    Main switch
    CE button
    Yellow Button
    Green Button to home Z
    Green Button to home Y
    Green Button to home X
    Then go into manual mode?

Quote Originally Posted by Shanghyd View Post
    Not sure about the series 1 but did you try the same process you use with the interact II?
    Main switch
    CE button
    Yellow Button
    Green Button to home Z
    Green Button to home Y
    Green Button to home X
    Then go into manual mode?
    Thanks. The control on my Series II never worked and I have no idea how to operate it.

Could you clarify a little bit, sorry.

i

Take it out of estop and then press the red button with the yellow surround. This enables the drives. Then go to setup, jog, and select an axis and distance. Press the + or - button. If it does not move it may be on a extreme limit switch. Press and hold in the red button (it has a bulb in it and should go off if drives are on) while jogging it off the extreme limit switch. Then you can release it.
    Turn the spindle on and listen for rattles. There should not be any.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by machintek View Post
    Take it out of estop and then press the red button with the yellow surround. This enables the drives. Then go to setup, jog, and select an axis and distance. Press the + or - button. If it does not move it may be on a extreme limit switch. Press and hold in the red button (it has a bulb in it and should go off if drives are on) while jogging it off the extreme limit switch. Then you can release it.
    Turn the spindle on and listen for rattles. There should not be any.

George
    George, thanks. What is that red button with a yellow surround? Is that on the control panel? I do not seem to have one.

Guess I should have looked at your pictures before I replied. That's nothing like mine.

It's a BOSS control. The red button with yellow surround is the limit override. Top left. If it is parked on a limit switch, you have to hold it down to jog off the limit. Make sure you jog the correct way if you do this!

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by keebler303 View Post
    It's a BOSS control. The red button with yellow surround is the limit override. Top left. If it is parked on a limit switch, you have to hold it down to jog off the limit. Make sure you jog the correct way if you do this!

Matt
    Matt, that button appears to be slightly busted on my mill. If I press it with a screwdriver, nothing seems to happen when I jog.

i

Bare with me as I converted my machine in short order after I brought it home...

I think you have to press the limit override after an estop to reset everything. If you connect air to the machine, the spindle brake should be on in estop and then the brake cylinder will retract when you press the limit override. If the brake is on and won't turn off, chances are your machine is on a limit switch or the limit override switch is busted. You can see the x limit switch on the front of the saddle, y is on the right of the knee. The Z switches (2 of them) are behind the front cover there above the quill. I think the bottom switch is like a decel switch and the second is the home/limit switch, not sure.

It should be easy to check the switches to make sure no limits are pushed. You could also check the limit override for proper operation using a multimeter with the machine off.

Another check may be to see if the motors are getting power. You can easily remove the bottom cover on the Z motor, the front conver on the Y motor and the motor itself on the x axis. The motors should cog when turned by hand (click, click, click) when the power is off. When energized, they should be locked (you can't turn them by hand).

Check the limit switches and the override switch and post back up.

Matt

Few more things.

There is a switch in the lube tank, if it's too low, the spindle will NOT turn on no matter what. Fill it with oil. Once it is out of estop (the spindle brake turns off, you should be able to start the spindle.

On the bottons. The top one is for the spindle. Center is off, right and left has an on position and then farther is the start position. Turn it to start, then it springs back to run. switch it to the center for off. left button is brake auto or off. right button is for speed. left right is up or down, push to change the speed. Only change the speed when spindle is running.

Matt

Wow, this is really a crazy coincidence.

Here is my post from EXACTLY 6 years ago.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bridge..._question.html

Matt

Question

Quote Originally Posted by keebler303 View Post
    Few more things.

There is a switch in the lube tank, if it's too low, the spindle will NOT turn on no matter what. Fill it with oil. Once it is out of estop (the spindle brake turns off, you should be able to start the spindle.

On the bottons. The top one is for the spindle. Center is off, right and left has an on position and then farther is the start position. Turn it to start, then it springs back to run. switch it to the center for off. left button is brake auto or off. right button is for speed. left right is up or down, push to change the speed. Only change the speed when spindle is running.

Matt
    Matt, just FYI, the spindle runs great, the oil tank is full of oil, the brake also works great. It is the motion that I cannot figure out despite all the great help.

With the brake in "auto" and estop released does the brake release?

Matt