585,926 active members*
3,853 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mini CNC lathe, convert or buy new?

I require a mini cnc lathe to machine small brass components with complex curves and I am looking for minimum accuracy of 0.001".

I will require a machine that will bar feed 3/8'' brass rod so I do not require a large machine. I think Sherline will do the job but will the software they offer complete complex curve tasks? What is the quality of the Serline packages?

Is there any other brands that would be worth a look?

Hi
    I also had To do similar decision for a project.
    I finally decided to normal lathe which i converted to cnc.
    Because of acuracy and no really big price difference we bought an european build machine. We use linuxcnc and machine can still be used as Manual Mill!
    I documented now all in Detail
    Next step is cnc threading ...
    Cu
    Thomas

A bar feeder on a Sherline?

I'm not sure that is even possible on a Sherline. Certainly not without a lot of work.

Quote Originally Posted by BDD View Post
    I require a mini cnc lathe to machine small brass components with complex curves and I am looking for minimum accuracy of 0.001".
    The question means little without some idea of volume and duration. Volume would dictate what to suggest and duration (a reoccurring job) would tell you how rugged the machine should be.

I suspect if you where thinking Sherline the volume is extremely low.
    I will require a machine that will bar feed 3/8'' brass rod so I do not require a large machine.
    Well yes and no. The way I would look at this would be to get a machine that can be set up with a 5C collet system.
    I think Sherline will do the job but will the software they offer complete complex curve tasks? What is the quality of the Serline packages?

Is there any other brands that would be worth a look?
    My gut feeling is that you are thinking way too small here. Either that or I'm mis understanding your use of the term bar feeder. Generally when I hear bar feeder I'm thinking of automatic lathes or even multi spindle lathes running off high volume parts.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard View Post
    I'm not sure that is even possible on a Sherline. Certainly not without a lot of work.

The question means little without some idea of volume and duration. Volume would dictate what to suggest and duration (a reoccurring job) would tell you how rugged the machine should be.

I suspect if you where thinking Sherline the volume is extremely low.

Well yes and no. The way I would look at this would be to get a machine that can be set up with a 5C collet system.

My gut feeling is that you are thinking way too small here. Either that or I'm mis understanding your use of the term bar feeder. Generally when I hear bar feeder I'm thinking of automatic lathes or even multi spindle lathes running off high volume parts.
    Initially I require a lathe to conduct R&D work. Once I have finalised the design then I will want to go into mass-production then eventually I would like to be machining a part every minute per machine for 8 hours a day to make it worth while.

I understand that a Sherline will not be up to my requirements of mass production but I don't want to commit much money towards machinery until I have proved the design work with this manufacturing method.

I would like a small inexpensive lathe to do the R&D work but once that is complete if possible I would like to have a bar feeding option of sorts so I could make a bit of revenue to go towards a new bigger machine.

The parts I making are only 7-9mm in diameter and an inch long so I don't see why I need a machine that is larger than a Sherline.... what do you think?

There is a sherline machine on you tube that has a lever actuated bar feeding system of sorts that would suit my purpose. I would rather buy additions like that as I do not have time to build my own at this stage.

Any input would be appreciated.

Hi
    I also do r&d work
    I looked into proxxon 230 , an Sieg , and Optimum and Klippfeld we finally choosed Klippfeld Manual and let the factory mount Thema steppers (do mecanical conversion) we did then the control and used emc2
    Most complicated part was getting gcode anyway ...
    Cu
    Thomas

decided to convert a Unimat 3 or Compact 5 if I can find one in the southern hemisphere!