586,024 active members*
3,761 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Sectioned linear rails ok or no?

Hi,

I got some old linear guideway blocks (for 28mm rails, superheavey duty) from Hiwin, but no rails. I am doing research still and getting some prices, but I am thinking of making my own rails for these.

I could make the rails from 17-4 and get it nitrated to 60rcw. But I could only make the rails in sections of 24 inches, due to my small bridgeport. I would need a length of more than 4ft....like 60 inches. I was thinking of making 3 sets of 20 inches and mounting it on a one piece 60 in. metal bar, but I am worrying about alignment, and the forces that would be exerted on the rails by the motion of the gantry and router. Although I will primary use this as PLASMA cnc, but I would like to do some routing on wood now and then. (see image, the top rail)

I also thought instead of having the sides of the section flat, I could make one section split in half and have the neighbour with the other half. And where these havles overlay, there will be 2 or more screw along the halves.
    (see image, the bottom rail)

Btw, the "T" and upside down T's are to mark screw locations on this hypothethical rail. There would be more screw on the real thing of course.

Anyway, any comments?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails sectionedrail.JPG