586,000 active members*
5,031 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

3D Printers why so quite on here?

Just wondering why there is not much building activity on cnczone regarding 3D printer building I thought it was the big craze now, with the reprap etc.

Is there a specific forum somewhere else for this

My guess is there is not a big interest in them here, compared to mills, lathe's and routers.

I believe Hoss has made a few different types that he has posted about.

I... personally have been too busy printing the crap out of crap!
    Printed two sets of mendelmax parts and a whole bunch of other stuff,
    mostly trinkets for family and friends.

JTCUSTOMS
    "It is only when they go wrong that machines remind you how powerful they are."
    Clive James

Quote Originally Posted by xairflyer View Post
    Just wondering why there is not much building activity on cnczone regarding 3D printer building I thought it was the big craze now, with the reprap etc.

Is there a specific forum somewhere else for this
    a lot of people here don't really do much and what they do they don't share.
    you hear talk of I'm building this better printer or I'm building that bigger printer
    but we never actually get to see anything. at least hoss provides some kind of activity to check out. if they have time to post nitpicking someone elses progress, they have time to share their progress too. those of us still deciding would like to see more sharing.
    am

There seems to be loads of info and youtube videos etc especially on the reprap amachines but very much all over the place and with different upgrades and versions - very confusing for someone green to the technology.

I remember coming here back in early 2004 when I first heard about homemade cnc routers and all the info was all here and found it fairly easy to get started with great help from guys like Balsaman, Ger21 & Berin.

My MDF CNC has been going flat out ever since and apart from upgrading the leadscrews is the same as it was when I built it.

So now I want to build a 3d printer it looks like I am going to have to spend many nights reading and watching youtube videos picking out bits from each one.
    Will start a build on here once I decide which version/variant I am going to do.

The technology in 3D printers is changing far more rapidly then in hobby CNC machining. Very little support use to exist but that isn't true anymore. If you into scratch building stuff a printer these days is not that bad. If your willing to take the time to convert the printed parts that are designed for printers into wood you can use your cnc machine to build everything out of wood. Thats what I did. These days it might be best to buy off ebay.

However the most difficult part of the printer is the hot end of the extruder. This takes a lot of reading and engineering. Now days you can do well with purchaced hot ends. You need to give up on the scratch built concept at some time.

Anyway to me the world of 3D printers is far different from that of 2.5D routing. They both have their place but the flexibility of a printer is far better for small components.

Why arn't 3D printers more popular in this forum?

Knowing what wood routers can do, and the fact that folk spend just as much for a cabinet saw that basicly only cuts in a straight line, you could also ask why CNC routers aren't more popular in wood working forums?

forums tend to have a narrow focus and you have the right and ability to join the best cnc forum, or wood working forum, or printer form, or even social media forum.

The more apropriate question is how many folks that are part of this forum are also part of reprap.org? Why try to make CNCZone a printer forum with a excellent one already exists?

Quote Originally Posted by Dean448 View Post

The more appropriate question is how many folks that are part of this forum are also part of reprap.org? Why try to make CNCZone a printer forum with a excellent one already exists?
    You probably just answered the question I should have asked, I have been on reprap.org but never seen the forum, there is so much on the reprap pages, of different version and types and files you get from this site and that site, I cant get my head around it yet

Will look into the reprap forum and also been reading through hoss thread which is very good.

Its quite a large forum with an evolution of hobby printer technology. Let me know what you are trying to do. I may be able to guide you.

3d Pinter

3D printer. Automation Technology Inc

see attached picture
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3Dprinter.jpg  

When we can do this at home
    http://www.concept-laser.de/

I'm in!

I think also that many people are buying 3D printers and not building them. From what I've read and viewed online, getting to grips with the combinations of materials and methods will take up plenty of time without comitting to scratch building. The outcome from this has been, as already pointed out, many dedicated online resources that deal with these mainly, small scale machines. I like the discussions going on here in the Zone and I will be contributing when I get my (ready made) 3D printer.