584,842 active members*
4,717 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Smoothstepper for CNC?

Hi Everyone,

I'm wondering how the smooth stepper would function on a larger table design as I've heard about them being installed a lot in mills, and if I get a smooth stepper, will I still need a PMDX? Will it slow down the imp on the machine, or does it speed it up?

Sorry it's a newbie question, but I've emailed the company, and not heard back yet.

Thanks,
    Chris

If you have questions about the SmoothStepper I recommend that you contact Jeff Birt at Soigeneris. He's very responsive and knowledgeable regarding the products he sells. I have a USB SS and have been very happy with it and have not had any problems with it. If I were to get another one I would get the Ethernet version simply because on principle it's better technology.

Chris

Hi Chris,

I've installed ethernet smooth stepper with C32 board on my machine. I can without problems jog machine at 30m/min with X and Y axis. I'm using rack and pinion with servo motors and 10:1 reduction gear. So far looks very good and ESS is very stable.

Regards,
    Peter

The PMDX -126 has provisions for mounting the SS right on the board.
    Depending on the breakout board you choose, the ESS may require up to three breakout boards.

The SmoothStepper won't do anything to affect the speed, but it gives you the ability to output steps at a much faster rate. So you'll have the ability to go faster, if the rest of your components can take advantage of it.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Not an attempt to hijack your thread but I am also thinking about using the smooth stepper on my next machine.......

Will it work on a windows 7 machine?

Will it work on 64 bit?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ssutton View Post
    Not an attempt to hijack your thread but I am also thinking about using the smooth stepper on my next machine.......

Will it work on a windows 7 machine?

Will it work on 64 bit?

Thanks
    Yes, and yes.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

ger21,

Depending on the breakout board you choose, the ESS may require up to three breakout boards.
    What do you mean?

The ESS has 3 parallel ports of inputs/outputs.

Smooth Stepper

Hi Chris,

I have a Shopbot PRT 48" X 96" Router that I completely replaced all the electronics and software with the exception of the stepper motors.

I currently run it in Windows 7 32 bit on my HP Compaq 8710W laptop. I also used the PMDX 126 Break Out Board and plugged in a SmoothStepper right into the board. I also use Gerry's 2010 Screen Set. Everything works like a dream. Extremely satisfied.

If you would like to take a look at the video I did on this retrofit you can see it here.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WQ8KcTSKyQ]Shopbot PRT Electronic and Software Retrofit - YouTube[/ame]

John
    2007 HAAS TM-1P OneCNC XR5 Mill Pro. Shopbot PRT running Mach3 2010 Screen Set, Super PID and PMDX Electronics.Check out my Gallery on: http://[email protected]

John,
    How you wire SSR to pump from PMDX 126?

here is a little project I put together on the smoothstepper. The goal was to place it between my laptop and G540 controller. I was able to get all functionality working but one.

Jogging, Axis Moving: Working
    Homing Switches: Working
    Estop: Working
    Probe: Working
    Router Relay Control: Working
    SuperPID Control: Partial, Unable to control speed with Mach3

My laptop has Win7 64-bit and it does work very well with SmoothSteeper. I just have to put the SuperPID into manual mode when using the Smootstepper. It still turns the router on and off, I just cant get it to control the speed.

See the project here:
    SmoothStepper Hookup
    Author of: The KRMx01 CNC Books, The KRMx02 CNC Books, The KRmc01 CNC Milling Machine Books, and Building the HANS Electric Gear Clock. All available at www.kronosrobotics.com

I just have to put the SuperPID into manual mode when using the Smootstepper. It still turns the router on and off, I just cant get it to control the speed.
    You might want to read through the long Super-PID thread. THere are plenty of people controlling their rpm with Smoothsteppers and a Super-PID.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset

Mach3 2010 Screenset

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    You might want to read through the long Super-PID thread. THere are plenty of people controlling their rpm with Smoothsteppers and a Super-PID.
    Its not that the smoothstepper cant control the speed of the router under certain combinations of hardware. Its the G540, SuperPID, and SmoothStepper that seems to be the issue.

I did read it all and tried every thing on the thread.

I have been able to successfully control the speed of the router with a G540 and SuperPID using a parallel port.

IF anyone has been able to control the speed of the router with the G540, SuperPID, and SmoothStepper I would be real interested in how you got it to work.

I have also contacted both SuperPID and SmoothStepper and am still waiting for a response. Currently my stance (to my CNC builders) is that the SmoothStepper works in every reguard but the one mentioned above.

If this does get resolved I would be happy to test it and update my current projects.
    Author of: The KRMx01 CNC Books, The KRMx02 CNC Books, The KRmc01 CNC Milling Machine Books, and Building the HANS Electric Gear Clock. All available at www.kronosrobotics.com

Quote Originally Posted by HelicopterJohn View Post
    Hi Chris,

I have a Shopbot PRT 48" X 96" Router that I completely replaced all the electronics and software with the exception of the stepper motors.

I currently run it in Windows 7 32 bit on my HP Compaq 8710W laptop. I also used the PMDX 126 Break Out Board and plugged in a SmoothStepper right into the board. I also use Gerry's 2010 Screen Set. Everything works like a dream. Extremely satisfied.

If you would like to take a look at the video I did on this retrofit you can see it here.

Shopbot PRT Electronic and Software Retrofit - YouTube

John
    This is awesome! Thanks for sharing this. Very inspiring!

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by pero81 View Post
    Hi Chris,

I've installed ethernet smooth stepper with C32 board on my machine. I can without problems jog machine at 30m/min with X and Y axis. I'm using rack and pinion with servo motors and 10:1 reduction gear. So far looks very good and ESS is very stable.

Regards,
    Peter
    Very nice. Thanks for the info. What is the length of travel and who many IPM do you get with it? Is it better to go with ethernet over USB?

Thanks for the info!
    Chris

Thanks for the helpful information. By the way, you're CNC router design is very solid looking. And it looks cool too, quite modern and sleek. Didn't know you used the smooth stepper in it. Does the smooth stepper increase the torque at all or is it something that just allows one to hook up via USB, and speeds up motors?

Also, how long does it take to get from the smooth stepper waiting list to the actual order?

Thanks,
    Chris

I have noticed any change in torque when using the smoothstepper. About the only difference I noticed was there is a bit of LAG when using a Jog controller. Some delay in scripting as well.

There are only two reasons to use the SmothStepper.

1. You want to use a 64bit Windos OS as your controller
    2. You dont have paralell port and cant install one.

I started testing the smoothstepper, because some of my readers requested it.

Im using a 2.4ghz 13" HP Envy for my tests. Its both a 64bit OS and does not have a parallel port. It works very well.

Quote Originally Posted by msimpson99 View Post
    I
    There are only two reasons to use the SmothStepper.
    I would add a third: your PP based control isn't cutting the mustard.

I submit to you this: Engineering Documents - Tormach Machine Controller | Tormach LLC | We provide personal small CNC machines, CNC tooling, and many more CNC items

I have personally had events where during certain 3D moves when in CV mode where I got motor stalling and massive missed steps at speeds that where 100% reliable in different programs.

I contacted smooth stepper on this point and they responded that the SS might help but they weren't sure.
    -Andy B.
    http://www.birkonium.com CNC for Luthiers and Industry http://banduramaker.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by msimpson99 View Post
    There are only two reasons to use the SmoothStepper.

1. You want to use a 64bit Windows OS as your controller
    2. You dont have paralell port and cant install one.
    Those two factors will become increasingly critical in the very near future, given that 4GB of memory is getting to be standard even on sub-$500 computers and parallel ports are about as common as floppy drives.

While I realize that MacGuyver-fu is very strong in the DIY CNC community, IMHO there are far better ways to spend time and mental energy than maintaining legacy hardware and OSs.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    Those two factors will become increasingly critical in the very near future, given that 4GB of memory is getting to be standard even on sub-$500 computers and parallel ports are about as common as floppy drives.

While I realize that MacGuyver-fu is very strong in the DIY CNC community, IMHO there are far better ways to spend time and mental energy than maintaining legacy hardware and OSs.
    While these reasons are certainly valid, the fact still remains that until controller software also moves to 64-bit, you probably won't see nuch if any machine performance benefit running an external pulse generator on XP versus Win7-64. Even a measly configured XP computer with minimal onboard and video RAM can push a machine far greater than most DIY specs can achieve.

Also, XP SP3 is pretty darn stable and as ubiquitous as a ball-point pen, and a complete system can be had for next to nothing, or recycled. There are very, very few machines out there that can take full advantage of the power of today's computers and operating systems. While XP may be considered "legacy" it can still be shipped with a new system, and the fact that it has done so for almost 10 years is a testament to its capabilities (granted, there wasn't too much of a choice!)

Page 1 of 2 12