585,759 active members*
4,048 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Plunge turn

Plunge turn

I got A few jobs coming up where I got a iscar heli grip groove turn tool. Most lathe jobs I program at machine. From iscars recommedations it would take forever to program this at machine. I messed with plunge turn but was just wondering why there is no cutter comp options for this tool path on finish path. I have walls with fillets and tight diameters. Was hoping for cut comp options like the regular groove tool path. Any help from lathe guys would be helpful.

Do you need to rough and finish? Use plunge turn to rough then contour to finish?

Yes ruff and fin. I went and looked at the file and realized I can just contour the two walls. I liked the plunge turn op because the finish pass has the takes care of the " compensation" values when changing directions. To tell the truth the whole idea of the insert deflecting and compensation values is wierd to me.

Might not be tool deflection the causes compensation use to be needed. Might be part deflection or backlash in the machine.