585,956 active members*
4,560 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > DNC problem on OSP 5000LG missing block after transfer

DNC problem on OSP 5000LG missing block after transfer

I am helping a friend with his old LB-15, he had an serviceman
    to set up parameters for DNC transfer, and he also got a rs 232 cable.
    He set it up with no xon xoff, so we first prepare the machine and then the pc,
    but when we try to send a program to the machine a big part of it is missing.

Always the beginning is missing, and sometimes also a part of the end.
    One time only M30 was transfered!!

The file is set up as follows:

%
    $P1234.MIN
    M30
    %

We also tryed:

$P1234.MIN%
    M30
    %

So frustrating, the settings are

Bits 2 parity even baud 2400 and CTS/RTS
    (FIFO is disabled)

The serviceman say everything worked, but it is not,

We use CN0:,filename.MIN for recive, sending work ok.
    We use Cimco for transfer.

After transfer we get a ">" that should say it is ok.
    Hmmm...

try
    $

M30
    %
    Leave out the filename, see if it goes in as A.min.

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    try
    $

M30
    %
    Leave out the filename, see if it goes in as A.min.
    Ok, and we also name it A.Min at the machine?

The last tryes we made, exactly the same numbers of blocks
    was transfered, 23 blocks from about middle of the program.
    And the program was first sent from the machine to pc,
    witch seem to work ok.

The machine looses date and time at power off, but the serviceman says
    that no backup battery exists on this cnc, is it possible that the
    DNC parameters is reset?
    The rest of the machine is working like a charm.
    (I guess it is from the late 80:s)

With no file name specified, it will automatically load it as a.min

Ok, so only CN0:, ?
    Thanks in foresk,, way by the way. )

Just read cn0: write
    Or read tt: write.

I think if you are missing a big chunk of code your stop/start signals are not working. If you are using CTS/DTS you cable must have the wires to support it.

if not, you will want to use XON/XOFF communication and set the parameters to use it instead and not CTS/DTS. This is my preferred method since it only needs 3 wires to communicate along with the required jumpers on the CNC end.

Best regards,

check the cable. It's very popular to leave these lines (and even more) not connected to opposite plug. They maybe connected to ground or in between each other in your cable. This version of calbe alows easy set up of RS232 communication.
    (FIFO is disabled)
    do you mean XON/ XOFF? It's software replacement of wired handshake signals. You need to set up proper control code recognition in order to use software hand shaking. It's possible only when use 8-bit transfer.

Quote Originally Posted by Algirdas View Post
    check the cable. It's very popular to leave these lines (and even more) not connected to opposite plug. They maybe connected to ground or in between each other in your cable. This version of calbe alows easy set up of RS232 communication.
    (FIFO is disabled)
    do you mean XON/ XOFF? It's software replacement of wired handshake signals. You need to set up proper control code recognition in order to use software hand shaking. It's possible only when use 8-bit transfer.
    No, i mean Fifo disabled in Serial port. (system property)
    I have been recomended to disable that.

My opinion is that the serviceman is a assh0le, he fixed the cable and say everything works ok. I suspect the cable to.
    I am just supposed to help my friend with the programming.

Quote Originally Posted by Anders6612 View Post
    No, i mean Fifo disabled in Serial port. (system property)
    I have been recomended to disable that.

My opinion is that the serviceman is a assh0le, he fixed the cable and say everything works ok. I suspect the cable to.
    I am just supposed to help my friend with the programming.

Hi Anders,
    Its not necessarily that the service guy is an ahole, but if Hardware Handshaking (RTS/CTS) is used, its imperative that a Full Handshake cable configuration be used.

The term Null Modem, is a generic term and applies to any cable where the complementary signal lines (TD - RD) are swapped. The name Null Modem harks back to the cable's origin as a cable that bypasses the Computer to Modem (DTE to DCE) connection and directly connects two computers (DTE to DTE). Accordingly, and particularly when an off the shelf, Null Modem cable is obtained, the configuration can be dubious. There are three general cables that fit this name:

1. No Handshake
    2. Full Handshake
    and
    3. Loopback Handshake

The fact that you haven't mentioned the occurrence of Data Set Ready error, indicates that the cable you have must be either 1 or 2 above. If the control and PC software is set for RTS/CTS (Hardware Handshaking), the cable configuration needs to be as in the following picture (Full Handshaking):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cable Config1.JPG 
Views:	20 
Size:	21.7 KB 
ID:	163422

As far as disabling, or adjusting the FIFO settings, that normally is only required as a work around for a "Buffer Overflow" condition when Xon Xoff Handshaking is used.

As you haven't disclosed the actual cable configuration yet, an educated guess is that there is a miss match of Control/PC settings and the cable configuration being used.

The simplest cable to make is a Loopback Null modem cable, where the Handshaking outputs are looped back to the corresponding inputs on the same device. This Loopback Handshaking give the illusion of Full Handshaking, when in fact there is no Handshaking at all. The configuration of this cable is as follows:

Machine Side ----------------------------------- PC Side
    DB25 Male ------------------------BD25 Female --------- DB9 Female
    1 -- Shield Trace --------------- Not Connected ------ Not Connected
    2 ------------------------------------- 3 ----------------------- 2
    3 ------------------------------------- 2 ----------------------- 3

| Bridged

|
    8 All Bridged
    |

7 ------------------------------------- 7 ----------------------- 5

The immediate above cable configuration is correct for Xon Xoff handshaking. Accordingly, set the control and PC software to use Xon Xoff handshaking. As the overwhelming PC comms applications use DC1 (Xon - Ascii 17) and DC3 (Xoff - Ascii 19) control characters for software handshaking, make sure that the Control is set to use DC type 1 control codes, if your control has that option in the Comms Settings. Later model controls have this option, but I can't recall if the OSP 5000 did or not.

Regards,

Bill

as Mr. angelw mentioned already, I'll emphasize:
    FiFo (= first in - first out) must be enabled in serial connection. The disabling of FiFo maybe suits for some really special needs. Must be enabled for normal serial communication in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Algirdas View Post
    as Mr. angelw mentioned already, I'll emphasize:
    FiFo (= first in - first out) must be enabled in serial connection. The disabling of FiFo maybe suits for some really special needs. Must be enabled for normal serial communication in general.
    We have tryed with and without fifo, but not working.
    But thanks for the replyes anyway.

I disabled fifo a long time ago, when drip feeding to an old
    Heidenhain 355, by the way, the computer was overfeeding
    in some way otherwise.

I had issues trying to get my Okuma LB-300W communicating as well. Here's what I found out after extensive searching.

#1- Standard RS-232 cables WILL NOT work. I had our electrical guys make me a cable based on what I was shown by Okuma. I've attached the cable pinout info to this message if you want to take a look.

#2- Yes, settings on machine are important as well as the pc. That info is also in the file I attached.

#3- If you are using a DNC program, be sure settings in it match the pc and machine. Filename MUST start with $ and end with %. On mine, the FIRST line of your G-Code must have the file name on it ($A123%) Also the filename itself MUST start with a letter. Example: $A123%. It is not needed to include the .MIN in name, the controller adds that at machine when it saves anyway. At least on mine. Also in your code, only UPPERCASE letter will show up. Lowercase letters will be missing from file.

#4- Some Okumas do not like using the CN0: always. I found on mine using DNC it works better just using the Tape Punch Input. (EDIT>PIP>READ) will transfer your program to controller. (EDIT>PIP>PUNCH) will send the program to the terminal on your PC. I am using Predator CNC Editor for my G-Code editing and DNC functions. Works well with all my CNC machines.

Hope this info helps you a little, and good luck!
    Attached Files Attached Files

#1- Standard RS-232 cables WILL NOT work
    wrong. standard RS-232 cable works with OSP
    a cable based on what I was shown by Okuma.
    maybe this is a problem - Okuma provides many versions of communication settings. It could be confusing to find the suitable one
    I've attached the cable pinout info to this message
    This wiring is for software handshake only. It's better to use hardware handshake, in my opinion - more space in settings
    be sure settings in it match the pc and machine
    It depends , how you understand "matching". There are cases, when it's necessary to set 7 bit + parity bit + two stop bits at one end and 8 bit+ parity bit+single stop bit at another end and it could be only one way to get it work.
    Filename MUST start with $ and end with %
    you can omit file name several ways. Sometimes it's better to have read <enter> and filename comes from the communication (file name contained in file or "A.MIN", depending on OSP settings). Defaul Okuma setting is you need to type exact filename in read command. Don't like that.
    Also in your code, only UPPERCASE letter will show up. Lowercase letters will be missing from file.
    wrong. If you change default value of special code recognition you will have lowercase transfered properly

Quote Originally Posted by TonyW View Post
    I had issues trying to get my Okuma LB-300W communicating as well. Here's what I found out after extensive searching.

#1- Standard RS-232 cables WILL NOT work. I had our electrical guys make me a cable based on what I was shown by Okuma. I've attached the cable pinout info to this message if you want to take a look.
    As I pointed out in my previous Post, Null Modem is a generic term for a cable that many confuse as a name of a cable configuration that only relates to a Loopback, Null Modem cable.

The cable configuration shown in your attachment is only a slight variation on a Conventional Loopback, Null Modem Cable. The important bridging in your example is 4--5 and 6--20 on the control side. If this cable worked, so will have a Conventional Loopback, Null Modem cable.

Using RTS/CTS (Hardware Handshaking) and the associated cable is more reliable with early model OSP 5000 controls. Later versions work quite happily using Xon Xoff Handshaking.

Regards,

Bill