I am restoring a old c3 corvette , the floor pans are rusted out (common problem) replacement floor pans start at $279 each at Ecklers so they would cost $558 plus tax and shipping and since I have much more time them money I was considering making my own floor pans, unfortunately around here scrap steel plates to make a stamp die form is pretty much impossible to find so I'd have to buy new steel which defeats my propose of saving money. (local steel scrap yard doesn't sell to public , but the aluminum scrap yards do which is great form my other projects)

Now I know the stamp die should be a harder metal then what I plan to stamp which is 20 or 22 gauge steel sheet metal , BUT this is for a one time personal use and each stamp die would only have to make one part each (one left side and one right side) I was thinking I could use 2x6 lumber in two layers chris-crossed with 2x4 press braces on top and bottom of the male and female dies, I realize there mite be some deformation/crushing of the wood die but don't think that with one pressed part that it would be noticeable in the stamped part with that thin of material, what do ya'll think?

Has anyone else tried this with any luck?

Here is link to a picture of a right side floor pan just to get a idea of the shape require to be stamped

Photo Gallery for Corvette Floor Pan, Right, 1975Late-1982 - Corvette Parts and Accessories