585,753 active members*
4,473 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Inserting an excell spreadsheet

Inserting an excell spreadsheet

I have a spreadaheet with a bunch of x,y,z locations, and I want to import them to mastercam as points. I have Version 9, and have looked in the help but did not find what I was looking for. Any suggestions?

I sent you a pm

this is alss of intrest to me, as I have a gear cuting program that is written in excel and also generates three seperate X, Y, and Z co-ords I use the excel feature concatinate to form a string and then save as text file but importing to MC9 or McX is my problem - will MC allow the import of G-code and then redraw images etc..

cheers in advance

Salty

I will not really read in a text file per say but if the files are in a specific format in excell then you could access them and create geometry based on that using vbscript. in mastercam 9 and older do "alt c" to get to the chooks...then select the mcamvb.dll file ..this will open a bar that allows you to run, open and edit vbscripts. look through the samples that are installed. There is one called excell somthing. I think that might help you the most. post one of your files and someone here might be able to help more.

ac

I can do better than that here is the gear program
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Cole
    I will not really read in a text file per say but if the files are in a specific format in excell then you could access them and create geometry based on that using vbscript. in mastercam 9 and older do "alt c" to get to the chooks...then select the mcamvb.dll file ..this will open a bar that allows you to run, open and edit vbscripts. look through the samples that are installed. There is one called excell somthing. I think that might help you the most. post one of your files and someone here might be able to help more.

ac
    Actually, the vb scripting didn't exist until MC version 9.1. v9.0 and lower won't have it.

:cheers:
    Matt
    San Diego, Ca

___ o o o_
    [l_,[_____],
    l---L - □lllllll□-
    ( )_) ( )_)--)_)

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I think I made a Boo Boo... I have just checked the *.zip I posted earlier and it's not the program I used .. HOWEVER I noticed that it does generate its own G-Gode so it will solve my problem...

salty

sorry for the confusion my reference to v9 and older was to how to access where the chooks are. I guess I didn't word it to well. I was not trying to imply that vbs was available in versions prior to 9. I was just trying to point out how to get to it in 9 because it is in a different spot in x.

thanks for catching my slip rekd

ac

I know there is a VB script for reading an excel SSheet. Mick at CNC wrote it for me to do a Cam for one of my customers. After that it ended up in the folder with all the other VBS's. Has to be 9.1 sp2 or newer I think.

Mike Mattera
    Tips For Manufacturing Training CD's, DVD's for Mastercam, SolidWorks, Inventor, G-Code Training & More
    http://www.tipsforcadcam.com

mike you are right, after diggin a little there is a file built in to do it. You use mcamvb.dll, as stated by alex. Then there is a file to do it. I can't remeber what it is called because I did it at work and the name slips my mind. But it puts the points up and connected them with lines.

cam.vb If you cant find it, send me an email. I have a copy somewhere.

Mike
    Tips For Manufacturing Training CD's, DVD's for Mastercam, SolidWorks, Inventor, G-Code Training & More
    http://www.tipsforcadcam.com