585,930 active members*
3,770 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > I need Info On The Tormach Machines
Page 2 of 3 123
    To clarify more about cutting .15" deep...

Oops, memory came back. I'm cutting .2" deep.
    Yes, I am clamping a 12"x3"x1" piece in the vise, and philbur is right I'm sure that it'd do better clamped to the table. Also, note that I'm doing full slotting at 27ipm 4500 rpm with .2" DOC. That's something like a 0.5HP cut. I found it unreliable to try and do .7 or .8HP cuts 4500rpm. If anything isn't right- your cutter sharpness, recutting chips, etc, you'll stall the motor. There is a lot of discussion on here about what RPM gets the max HP from this machine. Also, I'm series 1 without the spindle drive upgrade.

Tormach will be the machine!

I want to thank everyone for all the input, I have talked with Tormach and completed the research and have found nothing but good and reasonable information based on what the machine can do with regards to making parts from 6061T6.
    I have had to move forward with legal action against CNC Masters and report that the Baron XL is a total failure and is not capable of machining any part!
    I have purchased the URL Baronxl and will be building a website stating factual information about this China junk. I am a retired Marine and can still fight like a Bull Dog.
    It is unfortunate that the smallest mistake can be so costly when you buy equipment because not much is made here in the US anymore!
    Buyer bewares for all the new guys trying to start in CNC if you see this company my opinion is run!

Thanks Guys,
    John USMC

Quote Originally Posted by TXFred View Post
    Yes, it can handle mastercam output. I have used gcode from a Haas post and it has worked perfectly.

Frederic
    What version of MasterCAM are you guys using. I have X3, X4 & X5 posts that are specific to Mach3/Tormach. They output the M998 code at tool changes, has a nice T/C tapping routine and a few others. They are the work of Freddy on the Yahoo forum.
    If your interested, PM me with your email and MC version.
    Barry
    Tormach PCNC1100, Mach 3 R3.043.037, MastercamX5 level 3.

Hey John once you're up and running, shoot me a PM. I'll walk you thru the tooling I use, speeds & feeds, etc... Good luck

Video of my older series 1 PCNC 1100 with the Tormach 17mm insert EM. The combo is really impressive. The best MRR I've been able to achieve plus a great finish.

[ame=http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft4n2rCWSG0]YouTube - Testing the Tormach 17mm Center Cutting Insert Endmill[/ame]

David

Just got the machine in place, this machine is light years ahead of the Junk CNC Masters sold me, fortunately I got all my money back and real excited about this nice machine, going through step by step getting everything right and just waiting on the controler, Rory of Tormach sold me on the controller and probably a good idea to start off with evrything Tormach makes so there are no issues. It has been a long eight months and I look forward to turning this machine on. I will PM mail you in a few days, I sure appreciate you and the other guys here, everyone certainly has got me in the right direction.
    Kind Regards

I want to thank all you guys for pointing me the right direction, I got the machine and slowly making sure everything is right before throwing the switch. Does anyone has a post for the 1100 for MasterCam.
    This machine is light years ahead of CNC Masters, everything I had to fix or modify to try and get thier machine to run is already done. Nice machine and I cannot wait to start making parts, taking my time making sure everything is on the money. I want smooth start up!

Thank You Everyone,
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by usarty1 View Post
    Does anyone has a post for the 1100 for MasterCam.
    here's a mastercam post for mach3. i've never used it, so you might want to be careful.
    ArtSoft USA - CAM Post Processors

also, found this
    Mastercam : Teachers & Students

i have no idea what and "educational" post is......

There is this one too...
    Software Downloads | Tormach LLC | We provide personal small CNC machines, CNC tooling, and many more CNC items

Scroll down, you'll see it in the bottom of the list of post files.
    Gerry
    Currently using SC7 Build 1.6 Rev. 64105

I want to thank all you guys for pointing me the right direction, I got the machine and slowly making sure everything is right before throwing the switch. Does anyone has a post for the 1100 for MasterCam.
    This machine is light years ahead of CNC Masters, everything I had to fix or modify to try and get thier machine to run is already done. Nice machine and I cannot wait to start making parts, taking my time making sure everything is on the money. I want smooth start up!

Thank You Everyone,
    Semper Fi
    None of the shown posts are very good. After much teeth gnashing, I was pointed to the yahoo groups tormach 1100 group. There's decent posts there in the files section. The x4 post works good, including 4th axis. If you got the 4th axis with your machine, check the dip switches.. I spent many days trying to get it to work right, but in the end it was dipswitches and software config not right from Tormach. That said, Support is good. I've just started to use my machine in earnest, and its a nice machine - Not a Mori by any means, but the best of the Chinese stuff. I'm pretty happy with mine so far, and it sure beats the contstant mods and tuning of a "home grown" conversion.....

Hi Gerry,

Thanks for the info, Tormach called me this morning and covered allot with me, they sent me to the link, probably the same they stated Mach 3 software that the post will work with MasterCam, he did not mention anything about versions so I am assuming it will work and will give it a go. I got my controller today, almost got everything together and will start leveling and double checking things. If anyone has had any trouble or better post please let me know. We have X5 and 9.1 and BobCad 25. So far this has been a pleasure of a deal over my last ordeal!
    Thank you for the help!
    Kind Regards,
    John
    USMC Retired

John, First, thanks for your service to our country!

Really looking forward to hearing about your experience with your new mill. Please keep us posted on your progress.

David

Thank you Dave,
    I have to tell you this has been great with Tormach so far, it has been great putting the machine together and seeing all the stuff I had to deal with already done! I not pro making things outside the United States, I think it is the down fall of our nation, but at least this machine was manufactured to American specifications. I will keep everyone posted, Tormach has sent me to some great videos and all the mistakes can be avoided just taking your time. Thanks to all you guys for all the help and I hope to post photos soon of my parts.
    Kind Regards,
    John
    USMC Retired

Great Video Dave,

Looks like I should have no problem cutting my parts after seeing the video. Looks to me that the machine cuts nice!
    Thanks for Sharing.
    Kind Regards,
    John
    USMC Retired

Smile Up and Running

I just want to again thank all you guys giving me help; I took my sweet loving time setting up the machine between regular business and manufacturing. I am very happy I took everyone's advice and got this machine.

I am now learning the software and how to get around with the machine, I figured out how to use the jog pad but still a little unsure how to use the center ring when jogging, Tormach has been great, I just wish there was a bit more information on the jog pad and how it totally works with the software. Just getting my head around this before I start the actual manufacturing. If anyone has info on using the pad please let me know, Tormach pretty much stated plug and play.

To save money I have been manufacturing the monitor and key board arm, total cost for metal and hardware about $70.00. I pretty much just went from the picture of it and so far it is on point.

My stand is pretty much level but can be tweaked, I am thinking it should be a bit off just for coolant, I found a video on you tube by a man doing a series of videos from the day he purchased and he keeps adding more. One video showed a great little tool for lifting the machine to shim the machine on the stand for the tram using a piece of aluminum and a 1/2' x 13 bolt, pretty cool.

A floor jack does not seem to get under the mill stand well, anyone got any ideas on some sort of small jack that can get under the stand; I prefer to get the weight off the foot rather than muscle it with a spanner wrench to level?

Also looking for a stone for removing minor nicks scratches on the table, Tormach had a nice one they used when installing a machine vise in one of their video’s but I have not seen one like it any place, wondering what you guys use? I will also email Tormach.

Ok I am a bit green to CNC but not to machining in general, I have located X,Y and Z and zeroed in the software on the screen, for some reason my dumb ass cannot find in the manual how to get the machine to return to home to the X,Y and Z I set?

I did manage to make chips today and using the jog pad and ½” end mill I was able to cut out the openings on the arms for the monitor and key board wires on the fixture arms. Sweet running machine compared to that junk and nightmare I was in before.
    Thanks for the help!
    Semper Fi,
    John

I just want to again thank all you guys giving me help; I took my sweet loving time setting up the machine between regular business and manufacturing. I am very happy I took everyone's advice and got this machine.
    Congratulations! Fun stuff.

I am now learning the software and how to get around with the machine, I figured out how to use the jog pad but still a little unsure how to use the center ring when jogging, Tormach has been great, I just wish there was a bit more information on the jog pad and how it totally works with the software. Just getting my head around this before I start the actual manufacturing. If anyone has info on using the pad please let me know, Tormach pretty much stated plug and play.
    The center ring moves a very small amount. Every detent in the ring moves it one step. The step size can be chosen by pressing the "Step" button on the jog controller. You will see the "Step Size" selection change value in Mach3 every time you press the button.
    I use the outer ring to do large movements, and the center ring to move in 0.0005 steps when I get close.
    Unlike the outer ring, you have to keep turning the inner ring around and around to keep it moving.

A floor jack does not seem to get under the mill stand well, anyone got any ideas on some sort of small jack that can get under the stand; I prefer to get the weight off the foot rather than muscle it with a spanner wrench to level?
    I used my jack from my honda because it was small enough to fit under. Yea... it didn't hold up to well. :-)

Also looking for a stone for removing minor nicks scratches on the table, Tormach had a nice one they used when installing a machine vise in one of their video’s but I have not seen one like it any place, wondering what you guys use? I will also email Tormach.
    Oh don't worry, you'll get many, many more nicks and scratches, you won't even see them anymore! :-)

Ok I am a bit green to CNC but not to machining in general, I have located X,Y and Z and zeroed in the software on the screen, for some reason my dumb ass cannot find in the manual how to get the machine to return to home to the X,Y and Z I set?
    You have to use the MDI (not sure what that stands for.) That's the place in Mach3 where you can enter G-codes. The G-code to do what you want is
    G0 X0 Y0

G0 (thats zero, not "o") means do a rapid move to this co-ordinate. X0 and Y0 are simply the co-odinates where you want it to go.

G1 will do the same thing, but instead of at full speed, it will move it at feed rate you set in Mach3.

Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by tbaker2500 View Post
    You have to use the MDI (not sure what that stands for.)
    G0 (thats zero, not "o") means do a rapid move to this co-ordinate. X0 and Y0 are simply the co-odinates where you want it to go.

G1 will do the same thing, but instead of at full speed, it will move it at feed rate you set in Mach3.
    MDI = Manual Data Input.
    G00 is not the same thing as G01.
    G01 is feed rate interpolated move, G00 is rapid non-interpolated.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

If you want to return to a pre-determined home position, check out G28.
    http://www.cncci.com/resources/tips/...28%20works.htm
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

The $80 (on sale) Harbor Freight racing jacks are low enough to fit under the 1100 PCNC cabinet and I've been using one whenever my mill needs to be repositioned.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelHenry View Post
    The $80 (on sale) Harbor Freight racing jacks are low enough to fit under the 1100 PCNC cabinet and I've been using one whenever my mill needs to be repositioned.

Mike
    +1 on the HF racing jack for getting under the 1100.

Don

Page 2 of 3 123