585,727 active members*
4,148 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Talking My New Optimum BF30

Hi Guys!

New user to the forums although I've been lurking for the past year or so. I'm 24 and have had a background in Tool and Die making industry for about 6 years now. Although my current career isn't in the tool and die trade, I still actively pursue it.

I plan on making production Jigs and work fixtures with my BF30. If I end up turning a profit with the machine I'm going to do a full CNC conversion and put a bridgeport in the garage for manual machining and roughing operations. Time will tell.

Anyway as this is a forum Ill make this post worth while and Ill share how I lifted my BF30 into its current place. The base and machine showed up in separate packages so I needed to lift the mill onto the base. I have two large supporting I-beams in my garage so I used these supporting members to lift the machine into place. I simply attached a large 8inch I-Beam clamp to the I-beam and the hung a simple chain locking pulley system to the clamp via a large hook. Used Three 2 ton straps to lift the machine and rigged it up so I could hook it to the chain. After that it was simple. used one had to lift the machine. (I pre drilled some holes in my concrete floor for some 3/8 Lag bolts. Tapped the bolts in so they were ready for the base) While the machine was hanging in the air I positioned the base underneath and simply leveled it out. After the base was level and secure I lowered the machine onto the base and secured it.

Last Night I squared up the head and was able to get it with-in .0004 over 8 Inches. Still waiting on my vice from Glacern and I need some endmill holders and a clamping set as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNCzone5.jpg   CNCzone4.jpg   CNCzone3.jpg   CNCzone2.jpg  

CNCzone1.jpg  

Congratulations! The BF series are a ripper in my opinion. I suspect that fresh plaster wall behind it may not look so fresh after a while!

cheers,
    Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!