584,862 active members*
4,814 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 3 of 4 1234
    This is a very thoughtful design that reflects a lot of work on your part.

I am curious about your experience with the IGUS slides. I am considering buying something similar. Did they work out in practice. If so why are you thinking or eliminating them for the X-axis?

Could you give part numbers, specs for the slides that you purchased?

The Igus gives a wee bit of slop, and I really like the bearing design I came up with so I want to convert the X axis anyway. The IGUS slides seem to work very well on the table with little slop, although alignment is a bit of work.
    I am on vacation now, and cant come up with the part numbers, but when I get back I will be happy to let you know.
    FYI I am using the IGUS W series slides.
    Colin

Well, I am back from vacation and have listed my machine on Ebay.
    Ebay link
    Over all I am very pleased with the machine. I will be making a couple of changes for the next one, just to refine it a bit more.
    This machine is really super rigid. I am certain that it is more rigid than many of the aluminum machines I have seen, due to the design and the "deadness" of the MDF.
    I am trying to source some of the signmakers outdoor MDF but am having a hard time finding it. Any ideas?
    Cheers,
    Colin

Signmaker's don't have a special MDF, HDU is probably what you are thinking of, it looks similar to MDF and is what all the sign websites/books/etc talk about.

Hi Shay.
    Nope, not HDU. This is actually MDF but the binder (glue) is some sort of resin that makes the wood much more resistant to damage by impact and completely waterproof.
    There was a link here somewhere, trying to find it now.
    colin

Sounds expensive LOL but then again HDU isn't cheap either be sure and post back here if you do find it.

http://www.craftmasterdoordesigns.co...ext_e&UserID=A

Here is the link to the manufacturer. No word on price yet...
    Colin

Hey Colin,
    Here's hoping you have good luck with your machine on Ebay. Sure really looks nice!!!!
    Phil, Still too many interests, too many projects, and not enough time!!!!!!!!
    Vist my websites - http://pminmo.com & http://millpcbs.com

I think what you are thinking of is MDO . I know around here (Chicago area) Menards and Home Depot carry it and if I remember correctly a 2'x4' panel is >$25

Thanks Randy,
    I will give home depot a call.
    Cheers Phil. No bids yet, seems that ebayers are looking for aluminum machines these days. Looking at the aluminum ones listed right now, seems to me they are a bit lightweight. The builders are relying entirely on the material for strength and not taking geometry into account.
    We will see in 25 hours if anyone wants this one....
    colin

Quote Originally Posted by yukonho
    I am trying to source some of the signmakers outdoor MDF but am having a hard time finding it. Any ideas?
    Cheers,
    Colin
    Dear Yukonho,

Try this...

http://www.weyerhaeuser.com/ourbusin...particleboard/

Over here in the UK, I have used Medite MR (moisture resistant) and also Exterior Medite ( aka Medex). MR is less moisture resistant than the others, BUT NONE OF THEM ARE WATERPROOF.

Hope this is of some use. Nice machine!

Best wishes

Martin

Called MDO, or medium density overlay, it's engineered plywood with a resin treated fiber applied to both faces. This gives an extremely smooth finish that is easy to paint. In addition it's rated for exterior use, which means it is safe from the elements, insects, or other outdoor hazards, making it a perfect choice for the new deck or porch.

Thanks guys.
    In the thread that I found that link, the guy said his retailer had a piece sitting in a bowl of water for 3 months. It lists the 24 hour thickness swell as 2%. This stuff isn't a plywood or a veneer. It is basically MDF but made with phenolic resin instead of urea formaldehyde.
    Have a look at the link I posted, there is plenty of info about the product there.
    Colin

I built a store front from that stuff last year (15 sheets) and didn't like it at all. I don't know what brand it was (medex maybe), but It was actually softer than standard MDF, and the surface was not as smooth. Maybe different brands are better, but I wouldn't use it for a machine. Cost 3 times as much, too.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Having worked with Medex several years ago(they might have made it better), it took about 6 months for water infiltration. But once it did it swelled pretty well. If I remember, GER21 is right, it was not as smooth, or as stiff, it was softer when routered. I haven't worked with the stuff since, I just refuse the job if it is speced.
    PS. I am a carpenter by trade working along the seacoast, salt air, wind driven rains, etc, so not much holds up for ever.

Thanks for the heads up guys.
    They offer a free sample on their site, so I will hack away and test that out when it arrives to see if it is any different than Medex.
    We can always seal MDF with epoxy too.
    colin

You might want to consider throwing a coat of paint on the machine, might look a little more "professional" and get some more bites on ebay.

Yeah, really it is a balance of effort vs ROI. I could build a cadillac, but then where do you stop, paint, lights, control panel ......
    There are plenty of crappy MDF machines that have sold for 1500 and more on ebay. This is a new design, I have only 7 ebay feedbacks, a lot of factors can add up.
    We will see in 4 and a half hours if anyone wants it this time around.
    Cheers,
    Colin

Hello,

Extira is the brand name of an exterior grade MDF that sign makers use.

Yes, it is completely waterproof. And termite proof.

Hope this helps,

Ballendo

Quote Originally Posted by yukonho
    Hi Shay.
    Nope, not HDU. This is actually MDF but the binder (glue) is some sort of resin that makes the wood much more resistant to damage by impact and completely waterproof.
    There was a link here somewhere, trying to find it now.
    colin

Thanks Ballendo.
    I just located a (reasonably) local retailer for extira. I asked all kinds of questions, and it seems to me that this stuff is going to be the ticket. It is more expensive, $60 CAD for a 3/4" sheet 4' X 8', but overall that should only increase the cost of the machine by $50 or so.
    Wonder if anyone has actually used this material for a CNC router....
    Colin

Page 3 of 4 1234