586,000 active members*
4,925 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Cincinnati CNC > need help arrow 500 y axis motor

need help arrow 500 y axis motor

went to zero machine y axis went nuts (sounded like an earthquake)
    found the y motor field winding to be burnt. we had the motor rewound.
    today we tried to zero machine the y axis would take off full speed
    and fault out (following error) swapped two of the Leeds. retried to zero
    same thing. found the motor the be hot so we took it apart the winding
    (one phase?) might have overheated we ran for maybe 30 seconds any ideas?

field burnt? assume you mean stator winding? so redone by local motor shop? who? did they know how to rezero the resolver? sounds like not - reason for run away. 30 sec? the windings did not reburn up in 30 secs unless they used around #20 guage wire instead of the #12 or so it is designed for. probably was ENABLED for cooking for an hour before it burned up (thermal time constant of that motor is about 25 minutes, and it will take 3 time contansts to reach 97% of max temp on the servo drive limiting output current to motor rating). you need to send motor to someone who knows how to repair it right maybe? OR you have a bad drive that is doing all this - but that is not likely as a bad drive that can cook the motor 'quickly' as you suggest is not really possible - it would cook itself in 10 minutes and blow up first before it could hurt the motor.....

Unfortunately, I don't know how a resolver is working. At my Motors with an encoder I have a separate line, which detects the rotor position. In this Case, I give a small tension to one of the 3 coils and look at my multimeter or oszilloskop at which position I have the 0V-position. If you give the same tension to the same coil on the new winded motor you must turn the resolver to the same outputcurrent like the first motor. Than it should be run like a newbuyed one.

Larry, nice talking with you on phone today. I did not know yours is a CT system not Kollmorgen/A2100. So all we could discuss is generalities about servos and how they work.....

Your praise for Robert VArnau's help (Cincinnati Mag) needs to be told! He is indeed a good troup & an asset to Mag! Cudos to Robert for his helping you!

It is good that only you ran machine, and you put motor back together after rewind, so there is no doubt that when you said it was powered for only a few seconds, ran away, and burnt the motor windings. as we discussed, physics is physics, and there is no way a correctly operating servo drive of any brand can discolor a new winding in seconds. the only way to discolor a winding in your motor in seconds is by putting 100+ amps into it. No good drive can do that. that is why I tried to have you ohm each motor lead to dc bus + & - to look for direct shorts. unfortunately, either your meter was too sophisticated to read properly or there was no short. this is why I asked you to try your $ 10 sears el cheapo meter: if there is no shorts from dc bus + or - to output motor leads, then physics tells me there is no way you discolored a phase winding in your motor in seconds. sorry. I have no explanation for that at this point.

as you said, you did not remove the rotor of resolver from the motor shaft, so it should still be aligned properly - if, as you acknowledged, your rewinder did not swap U,V,W leads inadvertently. But even if he did, you would simply be out of phase, it very well could cause run away as you experienced, but it could not cause a winding to discolor from overcurrent in seconds. so again, no explanation.

so please try the cheap meter and see if you have 10 ohms or less to dc bus. If not, then you were going to try swapping x & y drive cards. again, i cannot explain smoking a winding w/o direct short so am at a loss at this point why you appear to have smoked a rewind motor. give us an update!