585,759 active members*
3,910 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > Importing DXF files into Biesseworks

Smile Importing DXF files into Biesseworks

Hi everybody. need some help.

Trying to import DXF files into Biesseworks for cutting with a rover B

Ive read of the methods some people have described to insert cutting details into layers using auto cad.

What i would like to do is have all the programing done in biesseworks and basically just import geometry in the DXF file. to then do all the programing in biesseworks.

is this possible?

Some background

I'm using solidworks for modeling cabinetry for the fit-out of motor yachts that we build here in Australia.

We also have Solidcam installed which we use for the more complicated shapes.

What we would like to do is nest the shapes in solidworks generate the dxf file into biesseworks where our operator can then program from that geometry.

At the moment our operator receives drawing of each cabinet and redraws the shapes in biesseworks for cutting.

We have tried creating cutting files from nested parts in solidworks/Solidcam and sending that to the rover B. Which works fine however lacks flexibility at the machining end.

For example sometimes cutting every part out of a 8x4 nested sheet is not practical with a vacuum bed. Parts on the table move towards the end of the operation due to a loss of suction.

Also there are sometimes imperfections on the plywood board that the operation may choose to avoid.

Any help is very much appreciated

Cheers

John

DXF into Biesse Works

Hello John,

does this help at all:

Importing DXF Files into Biesse Works

I don't use Biesse Works so I'm no expert here, but from the above link I understood that you can import each part as separate operations which you then can move etc.

Cheers,
    Veikko

Hi Veikko

That's exactly what I'm trying to do.

However i need some more tips on how to setup the programing in Biesseworks with these imported shapes.

John
    We use Autocad with Biesseworks. If all you want to do is import geometry, then just make sure it is on a generic layer. (Not rotor, panel, vertical, etc) Save as R12 dxf format saving just the entities you want to rout. In Biesseworks just open the dxf file. It might give you an errer msg but open anyway. You should have the goemetries there. Then just create "milling from geometry" making sure the actual geometry is listed before the milling for it.
    Hope that helps.

John

You wrote " ignore error msg "

What is this error anyway ?

Can't I fix my file to be able to load errors free ?

I have been using biesseworks for 7 years now, and i don`t have a problem with importing dxf files.

Once you set up the parameters of the file you need to cut, go to the import buttons on the top and choose manual import button, this will bring up the import window, choose your file and then select import.

After this you get a window choose geometric and the unit of measurment in and then use the tick button to import the file.

when orginally doing the dxf file make shure the bottom left hand corner is zero zero.

i have imported thousands of file this way and as of today have not had a problem.

just keep all your geometry on the same layer, i use layer 0 within autocad.

if you are exporting the file from another program, maybe i would first load it into autocad and then save it as a dxf file that preceeds the biesseworks date ( i.e if you use works version 1 2006 then use 2004 dxf file)