585,667 active members*
4,030 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Distorted Lines and Curves - Vector Cut.

What would cause distorted lines and curves when operating a GCC Explorer II 60w (vector mode)?
    (Software, issues with X axis, Lenses, Motor?)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vector Cutting Issue.jpg  

I am no expert, but it looks like you may be losing steps. I don't really know how to solve this problem, but someone here will be able to help. Just be patient and your problem will be addressed.

Milt

Hi there
    check your belts thats mostly the reason.
    greetings
    walt

Quote Originally Posted by alon1976 View Post
    What would cause distorted lines and curves when operating a GCC Explorer II 60w (vector mode)?

Hi Alon,

What file format is the file used? True Vector (DXF etc) or Raster (BMP etc)

I'm with the guys, it does look like a step issue but I've also seen crud on the slides do similar things.

Before going down that road lets rule out file problems to start with.

best wishes

Dave

Things to check:
    1. Your belt tension. They shouldn't be sagging, but not so tight you can't push down on them.

2. Missed steps. Run the file a few times over and see if the lines line up properly. If not, you're missing steps.

3. Run speed. If your carriage is particularly heavy, running it too fast can cause your belts to stretch, and you end up with wobble in your lines.

4. Gunk on your linear slides. Simple things such as sawdust, metal shavings etc stuck in the rails can create points of resistance, which in turn can lead to missed steps.

The wobbles in the lines look like you have a belt issue, but the disconnected line on the P is a clear missed step issue.
    Build logs and other projects of mine: http://nqlasers.com/

Probably not (i hope) but i've seen pulley's coming loose from the steppers.
    This gave similar results..
    The could rotate a little around the steppers-axis.

Kees

Yeah, also check all the grub screws on your couplings/pulleys, they love vibrating loose over time.
    Build logs and other projects of mine: http://nqlasers.com/

Hi alan
    here is another part what has given me headache it was on the X and Y axis the idler the most have only one bearing in it I did put a second one in it, but another version is that the idler was worn out what means there was groves worn in it and this has driven me nuts till I finally found it replace the idler and who a la it works like a charme again.
    greetings
    walt

Quote Originally Posted by alon1976 View Post

Does this happen with all files, just this file or possibly files with fonts? I've not had the same issue with my laser but have had anomalies with vectoring from Corel files. Fix has been to create a new file if it's a simple one like text.

Looks like a faulty motor or dirty shaft encoder..shaft encoder is a disc in the black part of the motor housing , you can pry the housing off by spreading it at the tabs in the groove and slide the housing out. Using a fine paintbrush, brush it and the reader off , be very gentle.

Hello ,
    If the lines are not straight on X aixs ,the possible reasons are as following :
    1.There is gap on X axis . Tighten the belts or fasten the screws on pulley .
    2.Check the laser head is loosening or not .Try to fasten it .
    3.Checking the beam alignment .
    4.The temperature of the water is higher .
    5.Change another fomat or graph and try again .
    Hope it could do some help !
    Mary Lee
    XYZ Mchinery

Quote Originally Posted by EXLASer View Post
    4.The temperature of the water is higher .
    Can you explain what watertemperature has to do with this distortion ???

Kees