585,744 active members*
4,901 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Need advice on software

The company I work for recently added to my responsibilities which are mainly managing a 12 man die shop. my addittonal duties are to manage a 7 man cnc swiss dept. we are currently running 3 new citizens.
    My question is regarding programming. Currently we will sketch part in solidworks to create 3d model. Then we import model into partmaker and then into wincnc. I'm just wandering if we are doing more than is needed?

You really don't need to draw the part in Solidworks unless it's a real complicated shape.............. you can just draw the part in PartMaker in a 2D form in the CAD section. Other than that you're doing it right

Ill agree that you dont need to fully model the part unless its something with a complex 3D shape, and even then, as far as lathes are concerned there still isnt a whole lot of point in it unless you have software that can drive a 4 axis path (xyzc, or even a 5axis if youve got a fancy B axis)

There are quite a few threads in this forum on the topic of CAM software regarding these machines, and I would say the general consensus is that there is no "perfect" program where you will literally be able to take the code, throw it in a machine, touch off the tools and go. Some people have custom adapted part maker to their styles, but even then you need a competent setup/operator guy.

For me personally I do everything from programming to set up, and with the tricks and other things I often need to "think about", there is no way I could ever rely on any one software to do the trick. Our company is expanding, and I cant continue to do everything myself, but I see nothing but inefficiency in moving towards a dedicated CAD/CAM guy and a dedicated set up guy.

There are softwares like Esprit and Gibbs which will include 3D models (at a hefty price, and only one machine at a time) where you can actually see what is going to happen which makes the transition easier, but once you acquire all the machine models and their posts you're looking at tens upon tens of thousands of dollars spent.

There are often times where I make parts and end up having to completely rethink my tooling layout and play with interference zones and all sorts of fun stuff that ends up in my actual running program being quite different from the theoretical I started with. As I move along I learn what I can and cant do, what I can get away with and what I cant, and personally I wouldnt trust a cadcam package model.

CAD to CAM for mills and simple lathes sure, but when you get into multi spindle overlapping machines things can get hairy quickly if you truly don't know whats going on.

That said, what you are doing now is about as good as it gets if you ask me.

I "2nd" what SirDenisNayland posted.

Swiss machining is more art than science. This is why CAD/CAM software packages are not as efficient on Swiss-Type machines as compared to Milling & Turning centers.

I typically copy & paste code when I have some complex contouring on either turning or milling operations. For example, I'm working on a rectangular connector where there is NO turning (part-off is the only time I turn on the spindles).

So, for all my pocketing, milling, drilling, etc. I'm generating the code on a CAD/CAM system and then copying the code and pasting into my program that I've already proven out.

I use PartMaker explicitly for Swiss and wouldn't use anything else. PartMaker has great post modification support and you should be able to get to the point of edit free programming. To my knowledge, they will fix anything that is required to get a program to run in the machine(won't move medial codes, collant on etc.) I would also recommend watching a few post editing webinars or attending the advanced post editing class at PartMaker. There are some simple edits that you can make to get your post up to snuff. I've seen both star and citizen posts that were completely edit free.
    PartMakers full machine simulation model is second to none. You will see every collision in the program - if the software says there's a collision then there's a collision.
    Star SR20RII/Fanuc 18i, DMG CTX310V4/Fanuc 32i, DMG CTX310ECO/Siemens 8400, Mori NV5000/MAPS, Bridgeport 760/Fanuc 18i, Kiamaster 4NEII60/Fanuc 3t;Partmaker, Gibbscam