585,914 active members*
3,751 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Mechanical Engineering > Linear and Rotary Motion > Linear roller with groove bearing

Linear roller with groove bearing

can we make a roller slide with this type of groove ball bearing for cnc ?

http://i00.i.aliimg.com/img/pb/963/5...eb17_16484.jpg

From the photo that grove is intended to take a retaining ring and is not intended to ride on a rail like vee grove bearings. IMHO that grove has a sharp edge and this would rapidly wear a grove in any rail. Also the position of the grove is accurately defined axially but the depth is not as controlled for depth as these groves are normally only used for location of the retaining ring The first two images are for the conventional vee grove bearings intended for use in linear motion applications. The third image is of a bearing with a retaining grove similar to your photo.

So to answer your question yes you could use the bearing to make a linear support but expect wear on the rail and a rough action.

Regards - Pat
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails kiit8351-1.jpg   rm1zz-2.jpg   0101f13.gif  

can i make a v goove in a normal bearing using a lathe ?

Quote Originally Posted by varunalau View Post
    can i make a v goove in a normal bearing using a lathe ?
    If you can find a bearing with an outer ring thick enough to accept the groove depth it MIGHT be possible. I would expect the outer ring to crack at the bottom of such a groove.

Also, the bearing rings are very hard and would probably require grinding to produce a groove.

IMHO, I would not do it.

Dick Z
    DZASTR

Why are you even considering this? Look at this series of bearings RM1 - RM2 - RM3 -RM4. all of these are "V" grove bearings designed for making linear motion. Many people use a 90 degree angle and just mount two normal deep grove bearings as pairs with their axis inclined at 90 degrees - any other angle is readily engineered with a little ingenuity.

You might hack a grove in the outer race way but most bearings do not have much thickness as they are designed to have the rolling elements as large as practical. Also hacking into the hardened steel may release stresses causing the bearing to warp. If you must persist with your idea then use a grinding tool post in a normal lathe and devise some way of keeping the lathe clean as plenty of coolant will be required and this will be mixed with grinding particles.

Regards - Pat