584,871 active members*
5,331 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12
    Thanks Bob, I think I'm going to go with the two start. I've got pretty much all the parts ordered (besides the G540 kit) except for the 10 tooth timing pulleys. I saw two on mcmaster that might work, except the bore diameter does not match what the motor shafts will be. Do I need to bore them out to match or am I looking at ones that wont work? Part numbers #57105K11 and #6495K711. Would these work? Is one better suited than the other or could you point me to one that would work?

Spencer

Looks like both of those have 3/16" bores. I've always purchased mine from Hubbard CNC on ebay (ebay name CarolBrent). He'll have aluminum ones in 10 tooth with the correct 1/4" bore. He has them way cheaper than McMaster, and I've always had fantastic service from him. Do a search for "10T cnc pulley".

-Bob

Hey guys, thought id give an update. These past weeks have been crazy! Tons of overtime, family reunion, and other things. Started on the aluminum part of the build, its going great, thanks for the ideas of match drilling, that has helped out alot. I have a question on the motors/ electronics side of this build. With all the overtime lately i was able to pick up all the components. I went with the motors from cncrouterparts, 381oz motors. Also picked up the g540. When i hook them up to test if they function, they make a hissing sound similar to air leaking out if a tire and they seem to get warm during the test run with mach3. Is this normal? I looked around the forums and seems people are split on it. Some are fine as long as they function and others are driven crazy over it. The motors came with the db9 connector and resistor already installed ready for the g540. Im waiting to hear from cncrouterparts, was wondering what you guys thought. Thanks

Sent from my MB855 using Xparent SkyBlue Tapatalk 2

I'm just about getting ready to power mine up for the first time. I'll let you know how it goes. Please do let me know what you find out.

When i hook them up to test if they function, they make a hissing sound similar to air leaking out if a tire and they seem to get warm during the test run with mach3. Is this normal?
    Have you tuned the motors with the trim pots yet? Any potential sources of electrical signal noise?

For comparison, I'm running a G540 from Keling, with the resistors at the drive end of the motor wiring (adjustable EZ-G540 resistors from Soigeneris.) When the drive is powered up, I can hear a very faint hum from the motors. Just loud enough that I can hear that the power is on, but not loud enough to be disconcerting in any way. If the shop is completely quiet I can just hear it from across the (very small) room, but most any sound, people talking for instance, will totally drown it out.

My motors get slightly warm to the touch after running, but never what I would consider to be hot. Never uncomfortable to rest your hand on. They are rarely much warmer than body temperature, often not much warmer than room temperature (assuming room temp to be 70-75.) I haven't measured this, but I'd guess they are around 100-110 degrees after a lengthy session. They stay much, much cooler than my old motors that were powered by a Xylotex.

Describing sounds can be really difficult. It could be that what you are hearing is within the range of normal. There was so much discussion about the cncrouterparts placement of the resistors at the motor end, and debate whether that was OK, that I went with Keling in the end. At that point in time, Gecko's position was that it was simply incorrect and that the G540 was never intended to be wired that way. Not sure what the latest word is. But ultimately most people seem to find the performance is fine.

Let us know what you hear from cncrouterparts.

-Bob

Quote Originally Posted by momus_cnc View Post
    Have you tuned the motors with the trim pots yet? Any potential sources of electrical signal noise?

For comparison, I'm running a G540 from Keling, with the resistors at the drive end of the motor wiring (adjustable EZ-G540 resistors from Soigeneris.) When the drive is powered up, I can hear a very faint hum from the motors. Just loud enough that I can hear that the power is on, but not loud enough to be disconcerting in any way. If the shop is completely quiet I can just hear it from across the (very small) room, but most any sound, people talking for instance, will totally drown it out.

My motors get slightly warm to the touch after running, but never what I would consider to be hot. Never uncomfortable to rest your hand on. They are rarely much warmer than body temperature, often not much warmer than room temperature (assuming room temp to be 70-75.) I haven't measured this, but I'd guess they are around 100-110 degrees after a lengthy session. They stay much, much cooler than my old motors that were powered by a Xylotex.

Describing sounds can be really difficult. It could be that what you are hearing is within the range of normal. There was so much discussion about the cncrouterparts placement of the resistors at the motor end, and debate whether that was OK, that I went with Keling in the end. At that point in time, Gecko's position was that it was simply incorrect and that the G540 was never intended to be wired that way. Not sure what the latest word is. But ultimately most people seem to find the performance is fine.

Let us know what you hear from cncrouterparts.

-Bob
    I hear a slight audible hiss on my steppers as well, but it has never affected performance. I think it's slightly louder with the G540 than my xylotex, but my xylotex ran at 24v and the G540 at 48v.

As to the resistors, I thought CNCRP resolved that with the latest revision of their cables. The only thing I can think of why you wouldn't want the resistor at the motor end is that the wire itself has some resistance and that can affect the way the G540 controls the current to the stepper? That might be why earlier iterations of the cable caused motors to get very hot. On a long job my steppers get pretty hot, though I can still grab them; they're nowhere near their limits...

I got a response from cncrouterparts.
    "These motors (and most high power stepper motors) do run hot, and they will hum a little bit. You may want to try adjusting the trimpots on the G540 to mitigate the noise".
    Adjusting the trim pots did take some of the noise out of them and I used a infrared thermometer and the 3 motors were running at about 120-130 Fahrenheit or 48-54 Celcius. I guess I was expecting them to be cooler than that and was shocked at how warm they were the first time they were running. Time will tell how they hold up. Maybe I'll add some pc fans to help.

I had contacted CNCRP about my motors getting too hot to touch. I couldn't keep my finger on them for more than a second. Without any hesitation, they sent me adapters that "upgrade" the old cables and said that the adapters have shown results in lower running temperatures. I have not tried it out yet, but old cables could be an issue too?

I doubt the cables are adding much to the problem. Ive tried connecting the motors with and without the cables to the g540, and the temp of the motors are about the same. Perhaps the temp may have to do with the increased impedence of these motors? Im no electrician by any means.

Quote Originally Posted by louieatienza View Post
    As to the resistors, I thought CNCRP resolved that with the latest revision of their cables. The only thing I can think of why you wouldn't want the resistor at the motor end is that the wire itself has some resistance and that can affect the way the G540 controls the current to the stepper? That might be why earlier iterations of the cable caused motors to get very hot.
    Thanks, I'll have to measure the resistance of the cable when i get a chance.

Page 2 of 2 12