585,737 active members*
4,789 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Moving a PCNC1100 with stand on pallet jack

Moving a PCNC1100 with stand on pallet jack

I had mentioned in another thread that I just purchased a second (used) PCNC 1100 series II. Just wanted to let you guys know that if you need to move yours with the deluxe stand attached on a standard pallet jack, it was a piece of cake. The main thing was to rent a Penske truck with the large aluminum lift gate. They have non CDL trucks available. The lift goes directly to the ground and stays close to parallel as it's lifted. Took 3 guys to get it out of his garage and on the lift, but just myself to unload at my shop. I clamped a metal bar at the edge of the lift before unloading for safety.
    I don't know if Budget or U-haul has that style of lift, but my move was flawless.

I just moved my business a couple of months ago and I used a Uhaul Truck. They don't have trucks with lift gate, so I rented a forklift for loading and another one for unloading the machine. I am sure is a few more expensive, but it was very easy. By the way, I never used a forklift before and I was beyond scared! hehehe...

Yes, they do make it easy. I have my own forklift here, but it's an old 1950's Clark and it only has 36" forks. I used it with a sling to move my first machine because the forks wouldn't reach the other side of the stand. By the way, the pallet jack works well from the side of the machine also. Makes it easier to maneuver through the shop, etc.

I used a Penske lift gate on my last 1100 w/deluxe stand attached move. Never again for that... not unless I can get a much larger lift gate.. the 1100 barely fit and we almost squashed the neighbor getting it out. Next time it's a trailer and gantry. Either that or take it off the stand. I'm a big fan of liftgates but not that one.

I just moved my pcnc770 few months ago. First, I replaced the "Stud-Mount Leveling Pads" with 4 heavy duty casters (the model with one big bolt in the center). Then it was just a matter of pushing it out of the garage onto the Penske lift-gate. It was easier than I expected....a one man job.

Quote Originally Posted by shred View Post
    I used a Penske lift gate on my last 1100 w/deluxe stand attached move. Never again for that... not unless I can get a much larger lift gate.. the 1100 barely fit
    They have 2 sizes, the standard steel one and the aluminum one. The 1100 only fits on the aluminum style. It was the width of the door opening and almost 5 feet deep. I found that you have to specify that one when reserving the truck.

When I was planning the moving, I checked with Penske and othe company (I don't remember the name) looking for a truck with lift gate. Both told me that they only can rent this trucks for movings in town... so I had to go with the forklift rental. (I know is a few out of topic, but I was wondering if somebody had the same problem).
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by riabma View Post
    When I was planning the moving, I checked with Penske and othe company (I don't remember the name) looking for a truck with lift gate. Both told me that they only can rent this trucks for movings in town... so I had to go with the forklift rental. (I know is a few out of topic, but I was wondering if somebody had the same problem).
    Ricardo
    That's good to know. My move was only about 80 miles round trip. I called my Penske location and they said the same thing. Local only!

Maybe I cheated!

When I bought the 1100 and deluxe stand, I just lifted the pallets off the (Estes) truck with the Bobcat with forks. Once I had the mill on the stand (Bobcat + 1" bars) and bolted down, It was easy to move with the pallet jack.