585,992 active members*
5,178 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Stepper Motors / Drives > Linistepper V1 simple question

Linistepper V1 simple question

Hey guys,

If anyone has dealt with the Linistepper before I have a quick question. I recently picked up one of these pre-built.

Now my'n has these exact same two 1ohm sense resistors in the corner.
    http://www.sxlist.com/images/member/...LV2_step7s.jpg

I understand the job of the sense resistors. My question is, are these two resistors already connected in parallel to allow a 2A current limit or do I have to solder them in parallel together? (I cant tell if they are connected in parallel, but i assume so as they look exactly like in that picture and are placed side by side as if parallel.)

Any help is very appreciated, thanks alot!

Hi, the two resistors are separate, each one controls one "phase" of the stepper motor, which has 2 phases. They cannot be connected together in paralle!

Quote Originally Posted by RomanLini View Post
    Hi, the two resistors are separate, each one controls one "phase" of the stepper motor, which has 2 phases. They cannot be connected together in paralle!
    Thanks for the reply Roman, that really cleared things up for me. So in order to give each phase a 2A limit, I simply solder another 1ohm resister in parallel to each? Will I have enough room to do this given the existing 5W resistors?

You can solder them on the bottom, or if the leads are long enough (or if you extend the leads with nice thick wires) you can place the second set above the first. Try to leave room for air to circulate and cool. See this page:
    techref.massmind.org/techref/io/stepper/linistep/lini_tun.htm
    for more information
    James hosts the single best wiki page about steppers for CNC hobbyists on the net:
    http://www.piclist.com/techref/io/steppers.htm Disagree? Tell him what's missing! ,o)

Also please be aware that 2A is near the upper limit of the Linistepper. You should make sure to use a large enough heatsink and consider adding one of those cheap little 40mm fans like they use on Pentium chips, the fan should go right on the heatsink and extract the air out of the heatsink fins.