584,808 active members*
4,991 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Mini Lathe > Need Help Setting Up Sherline CNC Lathe!
Page 1 of 4 123

Exclamation Need Help Setting Up Sherline CNC Lathe!

I'm a total newbie to machining. I got this machine to make some small parts. It's a Sherline 4000 Lathe with a stepper motor installed in a cabinet with a RS232 25 pin out. I have an older laptop that I'm planning on using for the software.

My big question is, is there free CAM software that I can use for experimenting and learning with the machine before I spend any money?

Also, where is there a good resource (book, videos, etc) where I can learn a little bit more about basic machine setup/how to make certain kinds of cuts/internal threading/etc? Any help would be much appreciated!

Edit: Here are some pics.

Sherline CNC Lathe by bedheadben, on Flickr

We offer a valuable free demo at Dolphin. I'm also pretty sure Sherline has some nice resources available as well. Nice little machine you have, btw.
    Dolphin CAD/CAM Support

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphin USA View Post
    We offer a valuable free demo at Dolphin. I'm also pretty sure Sherline has some nice resources available as well. Nice little machine you have, btw.
    Thanks! I updated the first post with some photos.

I don't know of any free lathe software (although there are some time-limited demos available) but you can get a book from Sherline (written by its owner, Joe Martin) that explains a lot about small lathe operations:

Tabletop Machining

Their info page has some good stuff as well:

Sherline Miniature Machine Tools

Andrew Werby
    ComputerSculpture.com — Home Page for Discount Hardware & Software

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    I don't know of any free lathe software (although there are some time-limited demos available) but you can get a book from Sherline (written by its owner, Joe Martin) that explains a lot about small lathe operations:

Tabletop Machining

Their info page has some good stuff as well:

Sherline Miniature Machine Tools

Andrew Werby
    I'll definitely pick up that book! Could you recommend any of the more affordable lathe software?

When it comes to milling, there are a few different options. I'm not sure there is a ton with Lathe, though someone may correct me. I'd take a look at the Dolphin demo.

At the lowest price point, aside from Dolphin Partmaster, which is a well-respected solution that's been around for a long time, there's Cad2Lathe CAD2Lathe (which says it's inexpensive, although no pricing information is offered), and Mach3's LazyTurn (which seems to have been abandoned midway through development).

At the middle pricing tier, higher than the most basic packages but below the price of the industry-leading programs like MasterCAM, Gibbs and Esprit, there is a range of programs. Mecsoft's VisualTurn is the only one of these I have used myself. It's full of professional features useful for running multi-axis turret lathes doing boring, drilling, grooving, threading, etc- in fact, it's more than you need for a 2-axis Sherline, although it will work for that, and I can offer a discount on it. Others in the category include LatheCAM Lathe-Cam , GeoPath GeoPath CAD CAM System for the Lathe and SmartCAM http://www.smartcamcnc.com/prodinfo/...on_Turning.pdf . If you get pricing information on any of these packages, please share it here, since their websites are devoid of pricing information.

Andrew Werby

I tried to dig around as I recall a post several months ago that was strictly dedicated toward pricing on all the packages. I wasn't very successful finding such.
    Dolphin CAD/CAM Support

Quote Originally Posted by awerby View Post
    If you get pricing information on any of these packages, please share it here, since their websites are devoid of pricing information.

Andrew Werby
    Will do and thanks for the recommendations.
    I tried to dig around as I recall a post several months ago that was strictly dedicated toward pricing on all the packages. I wasn't very successful finding such.
    Bummer, I'll probably end up going with you guys anyways.

I ordered Tabletop Machining (somewhat hard to find, and expensive!) and a cable to hook up my cheap laptop to the machine. Bits and 1.75" SS stock are next.

With the amount of posts that get posted here, the thread I am looking for is probably 7,843,889 posts back.
    Dolphin CAD/CAM Support

Hey Dolphin, will your demo version export code for the machine?

Yes Ben, per a customers request, we allow them to test the code. We always want the end user to be more than confident before buying the software. I feel all software should do as such.
    Dolphin CAD/CAM Support

Yes Ben, per a customers request, we allow them to test the code. We always want the end user to be more than confident before buying the software. I feel all software should do as such.
    Great to hear! I'll get to cutting some air as soon as my cable arrives.

I also believe I need a spindle encoder because I plan on cutting internal and external threads on this machine. Anyone have any tips?

Chinli, kindly get out of my thread. I am the OP and your drama is not welcome here, regardless of who you are or on what basis you are saying these things. From where I'm sitting, Dolphin appears to be a paid forum sponsor who is doing nothing wrong. They pay to be able to advertise their products here, why would you be shocked when they're advertising? haha.
    At least they are quick to answer my questions and have a free fully functioning demo. What could be so bad about that?

Quote Originally Posted by chinli View Post
    let me tell you one more time idiot, i have nothing to do with bobcad and wouldn't use that crap if you paid me. i will say that you trying to imply that anyone who disagrees with your tactics must be a troll from bobcad is an underhanded slight against them. both you and bobcad suck, period.
    Where's my ban hammer? Oh ya, wrong forum . Someone put a leash on this guy.

You're pretty clearly a troll, no threads of your own origin and the majority of your posts are smack talking. If I was a mod I'd be looking into your login IP locations.

You have yet to say anything negative about Dolphin's product, just whining about their forum sponsorship. You even debate like a spoiled child.

ANYWAYS! I'm actually 100% new to machining and am not experienced with LinuxCNC. My laptop I'll be using with the lathe is running XP SP2 but I could easily go Ubuntu if neccessary though.

Ben, it'll be fun. Just grasp it all in and roll with it. Your WinXP should be fine.
    Dolphin CAD/CAM Support

Which ports on the computer can I use to export code to the lathe? The lathe has a standard parallel port for the input and I can either use USB or the parallel port on my other computer, but my laptop with the 9 pin port which was previously used just died. Will I be able to send out code using just the USB port and the necessary cable or do I have to use the parallel port on the laptop?

I can clarify if neccessary.

Laptops are generally not recommended for running CNC machines, because they have all this power-management stuff that tends to interrupt them when they should just be spitting out pulses. See if you can find an older desktop to dedicate to running this lathe.

I'm not sure how this one is set up, but normally, Sherline CNC lathes communicate with the computer through the parallel port. They are supplied with realtime Linux-based EMC software, which is free to download. I'm sure you could get it to run under XP, but you'd have to purchase Mach3 or some other G-code interpreter.

Andrew Werby

I looked into this but unfortunately there doesnt seem to be a 'free' lathe turning CAM. There are a couple for milling CAM, even for multi axis cam with more than 3 axis. But turning doesnt seem to have any widely distributed free version.

I believe cambam with the addon can be used for simple lathing operations. You can continue to use cambam after trial but limited by output postprocessed lines of code. But once youre talking about threading its a little harder. One has to program yourself.

Perhaps the next cheapest for the hobbyist is dolphin turning CAM. Ive never used it so I cant tell if its good or whatever. Im looking only at the price.

That looks like a re-badged Denford MicroTurn made in Yorkshire England. Here's a link to some pics of one on their forum. Denford Software & Machines • View topic - MicroMill and MicroTurn image gallery They are great people and very helpful.

Have you had the back panel off to see what controller it has? Denford normally uses serial port hardware with proprietary software & dongles. A pain for sure.

If yours is parallel port operated, Mach3 Turn will work great and is completely flexible. The threading functions aren't the greatest for a small machine since it can only handle 1 index pulse per rev. EMC is probably better but your Linux-fu better be extremely strong! (Mine is non-existent)

I have a 1996 Denford MicroMill which originally was DOS Fanuc/Serial/Dongle equipped but thanks to the Denford forum guys I was able to throw out all the proprietary stuff & hack straight into the original SmartStep/3 controller step & direction pins via simple breakout board and Mach3. It works well for such a teeny little machine.

1.75" dia SS is way too much load for that little lathe to do much other than very light cuts which depending on what type of SS may not work at all. Some SS requires hefty D.O.C.'s and feed rates to prevent awful work-hardening. That lathe was intended to work with aluminum and plastics in a training environment.

Bob Adams' CAD2Lathe is around $50.00 if I recall correctly. He's a nice guy & very quick to respond to questions. You draw your parts in CAD, save as an r12 .dxf and import it into the program for conversion to G code. I purchased it a while back but haven't done much with it yet due to other projects and my own ignance. Not sure if he does freebie trials.

Anyhoo, good luck with it and keep posting as you move foreward.

And denfords are rebadged sherlines. In actual fact sherline is like an OEM manufacturer that people rebrand and resell.

Page 1 of 4 123