584,846 active members*
4,013 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

What goggles/glasses for a laser?

What goggles/glasses are good for a 40w laser?

Thank you

What wave length?

Thank you underthetire. I don't know the wave lenght, the laser I have is the chinese K40 40W laser, like this one:

You need to figure out what you have. Not only do you need the correct wavelength, you also need the proper tint, or darkness. Not a one size fits all I'm afraid. Ours normally are the 800-1050nm at a #5 or greater.

Regular polycarbonate safety glasses you can get from most hardware stores will work fine with the 10.6um wavelength.

Of course, they are not designed for direct hits, but they will protect you from diffuse reflections, but if you're getting direct hits from the laser to your face, you're doing something seriously wrong and shouldn't even own a laser.
    Build logs and other projects of mine: http://nqlasers.com/

Your starting point is the wavelength. You need this first before you can search for the correct safety glasses. You also need the max power output and if this is a pulsed output or a continous wave. Also does your laser have differing outputs ie does the frequency change?
    Remember good quality laser safety glasses are not cheap and you need to look after them, if they are badly scratched or cracked they should be replaced so If you have just spent loads of cash on them look after them after all they are there to protect your eyes as a last defense. One mistake with a laser could be the last one you will ever see.
    The pair I have at work for protection against a 3KW CO2 10.6uM Laser cost around £350 I believe and trust me I look after them.

Thank you for the replies.

I didn't start the laser yet. First I want to know what I need, so I think I'm not doing anything wrong.

I have this exact laser:

mini laser seal engraver with CE - Detailed info for mini laser seal engraver with CE,mini laser seal engraver,mini laser seal engraver with CE,SH-K40 on Alibaba.com

But can't find the wavelength.

10.6uM

Buy the best pair you can afford, they may be all that is in between you and a lifetime of darkness if you make a mistake.

I've always been an advocate of prevention rather than cure by using safe working practices BUT with the advent of cheap small lasers they are now getting into just about everybodies hands, even some people who probably shouldn't have them (I don't mean you directly).

best wishes

Dave

For 40W lasers, the regular polycarbonate glasses are fine for diffuse reflections. They will also protect you from a direct hit, but for a _very_ short time, but it's unlikely this will ever happen unless your laser goes wildly out of alignment.

Once you start going up to powers such as 60-100W, then you really should look at some proper spec goggles, however for 40W it's unnecessary. But, if you can afford then, go for it.

I've done a fair bit of testing with regular polycarbonate goggles and their effectiveness, and I've found most of them are fine for a good12 seconds direct hit (at 60W) before punching through, and if you're staring into a laser that long, you're an idiot anyway.

I understand a laser equipment is not a game and I need to be safe.

The money is not a problem, could you tell me a good pair of glasses?

Thank you.

Marco.

Marco

It has already been said, a NORMAL pair of polycarbonate safety glasses like you would use with any power tool will protect you from 99% of all possible injuries. The other 1% would be a complete freak accident or a foolhardy lapse in judgment. You can buy a pair from a store for the cost of a loaf of bread.

Matt

Personally I would contact the supplier of the machine to get the wavelength of the output beam. Then contact a local Laser Safety supplier and ask them for assistance in choosing the correct and suitable eye protection for the type of laser you have. This way you have some security in knowing that you have been supplied with the correct eye protection.

The laser will be 10.6um, absolutely no doubt about it.

Uhh, any particular reason for a copy/paste of my previous post .. lol?