585,758 active members*
4,445 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > New Tormach Digitizing Probe Calibration Update

New Tormach Digitizing Probe Calibration Update

Heads up to anyone using the new digitizing Tormach probe. Mach for some reason bugged out and smashed my tip into the work piece while probing the Z. A few months ago I notice a spindle too slow message and figured my program files might be corrupted and it's time for a reinstall. I performed a complete wipe and reinstall.

Tormach knowing I'm not under warranty, they still sat on the phone until everything was pretty much fixed/explained. All I have to say is WOW what a great professionally trained company ! Tormach is aware of the new needed information update and thought I'd post this to help them and anyone with the same questions.

What's new -
    In the Tormach manual under calibrating a digitizing probe the set screws don't match the 1 2 3 screw pattern tightening sequence in the manual. After a few phone calls and testing, here's what I came up with.

Zero the first point out like stated in the manual. Now select probe point 2 and instead of locking the probe with the cable right, you would start off with the cable left first. The set screw over the cable is now set screw one, working clockwise to set screws 2 & 3.

Next you switch to the cable right, select probe point 3 in mach and hit the yellow set point by moving calibrating probe button. After all said and done, you click the adjust probe from 2 and 3 button. Adjust the screws accordingly. It took a few hours, but I was able to get every set screw to a perfect reading of 0 0 0.

Thanks for posting. I had the same problem a couple months ago. I was able to very precisely misalign the probe!

After lots of frustration my fix was to use a test indicator to dial it in. Test indicator won't lie to you...

Geo

I'm having trouble with this setup (new Tormach digitizing probe). I'm using one-month old Tormach 1100 and equipment.

I squared my vise and put in a block of aluminum. Using a new 1/2" end mill that measures 0.50, I made a clean edge (X+ side) to work with. Being on the edge with the tool, I knew my actual edge was only 0.25 away. When I moved X0.25, the machine coordinate was 9.7228.

Using a mechanical edge finder, I came up with an edge of 9.7224. That's only 0.0004" from the edge determined by the end mill.

Lastly, I used the probe and found an edge of 9.7428. Using the end mill edge of 9.7228, this means my probe is inaccurate by 0.020.

Prior to this test, I got all of the screws adjusted so that they required 0 adjustment.

Now from the X- side of the part, with the same test procedure...
    • 14.4283 determined by 1/2" end mill
    • 14.4286 determined by mechanical edge finder
    • 14.4080 determined by probe

Again, the probe is off by 0.020.

Any ideas?

I had exactly the same problem on a new machine.

First: Check the run-out of the tip of the probe. I put a test dial indicator on it to verify run-out. You should actually be able to visually verify - 20 mils is easy to spot. Just rotate the probe in head while having a vertical surface close by.

20 mils is half of 40, which is 1 mm. I had to change the probe ball diameter somewhere in Mach3, but I can't remember where. I think it was set to 4 mm, and the probe is 3 mm (measure and verify).

Geo

Found it. Check in the tool parameter info. Top menu, Config, ToolTable.

Go to tool 99, that is where the probe info is stored. The default value in mine is 0.155", which is 3.937 mm. Like I said before, I would recommend measuring the probe diameter and then enter that value.

Cheers,

Geo

Quote Originally Posted by gjvander View Post
    Found it. Check in the tool parameter info. Top menu, Config, ToolTable.

Go to tool 99, that is where the probe info is stored. The default value in mine is 0.155", which is 3.937 mm. Like I said before, I would recommend measuring the probe diameter and then enter that value.

Cheers,

Geo
    Yes! Scott (SDM Fabrication) called this morning to clue me in on the tool table. Thanks, Scott!

I changed the tool width to 0.1170 (ruby tip diameter) and all is good!

Just wanted to add to Twocik's comments. I had the same issues with a new probe, and also got quick help from Tormach to straighten me out.

But I believe the reason is the probe has changed and the manual hasn't caught up yet. The new probes have a different design and the No. 1 adjustment screw is now directly over the cable attachment rather than opposite. I've attached a picture taken from Tormach's site showing the new probe. Notice that the lower section has a smaller diameter than the top, while the photo in the manual shows the same diameter for the entire probe.

I don't know if this is because of a revision to the design or perhaps a new supplier, but it works fine for me!

Terry
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 31858-Tormach-Probe.jpg  

I assume you guys are talking about the expensive active probe?

They also have a new passive probe that is much less expensive but very nice for the money. I recently picked one up and love it.

Did they mention if the new process is for both new probes?

David

David,

It never came up in my conversation with tech support, sorry. The adjustment screws are in different places though. One the active probe they are on the top above the led windows, I'm not positive, but I believe on the passive probe they are on the bottom, similar to the way they are on the Wild Horse probe, that some folks have.

Terry