584,837 active members*
4,895 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > Hypertherm Plasma > Does a 4x4’ Hypertherm high definition plasma cutting solution exist?

Question Does a 4x4’ Hypertherm high definition plasma cutting solution exist?

I’m trying to decide what 2D CNC cutting solution best fits our needs. I’ve been researching different processes for a while and have read dozens of informative posts on this forum. Having performed as much research as I think I can on my own (and pestering Jim Colt with several questions via email ), I would like to ask a few specific questions about my application. Any advice you can offer will be greatly appreciated!

Our shop has been seriously considering an abrasive waterjet, but after factoring in all the support equipment, space becomes an issue and even a small 4’x4’ unit quickly approaches $200k by the time the necessary electrical upgrades (almost $30k) are performed in our facility. The search for the right cutting solution has forced us to re-evaluate and better understand our needs, which can be summarized below:

• 70%: 20 to 16 gauge aluminum and steel / min. hole size: 0.265”
    • 20%: 0.125” to 0.1875” aluminum and steel / min. hole size: 0.265”
    • 8%: 0.25” to 0.3125” aluminum and steel / min. hole size: 0.265”
    • 2%: 0.375” to 0.5” aluminum and steel / min. hole size: 0.390”

Positional tolerance for most of our work is between 0.010” and 0.020” over 6” length; we cut a lot of holes (some of which approach a 1:1 ratio of diameter-to-material-thickness) and we would like keep the edge taper within a reasonable range. We’re not looking for laser quality parts, but we would like the ability to cut holes with tapers less than ~10% of the material thickness when the need exists. About 75% of the parts we make get bent in a brake and put into service and the rest get welded. The volume of parts we make is actually pretty low if that matters.

Based on my research and conversations with Jim Colt, I can likely accomplish my goal using the following three things:

1. A rigid machine with quality feed drives and a controller capable of higher accelerations and cutting speeds (up to 400 ipm for thinner sheets)
    2. Very good THC that is capable of maintaining ~+/-0.005” height control (such as the Command THC or one of Koike’s offerings)
    3. A high definition plasma cutting system (like the HPR130XD)

My questions about going this route are as follows:

Since I am limited by floor space to a machine with a 4’x4’ cutting area, do any companies selling quality high definition plasma machines offer tables this small? (Unfortunately my research thus far indicates no.)

1. Will I need a controller and CAM software that supports Hypertherm’s True Hole technology to achieve my goals, or will any modern controller achieve the tolerances I am after in the relatively thin materials I am trying to cut if I use a good high definition plasma machine?
    2. Will Fine Cut consumables work with the HPR series torches (or are they even necessary and/or compatible)?
    3. Will a larger power supply such as the HPR260XD provide lower quality cuts in thinner material (i.e. 20 gauge) compared to the HPR130XD, or is cut quality independent of machine size?

Since we will mainly be cutting thinner sheet on our machine, I’ve read many people have had good success cutting this type of material on (shop) air plasma systems by using the following technique:

1. lower cutting speeds (< 150 ipm)
    2. lower power setting (to account for the lower cutting speeds)
    3. proper (often Fine Cut) consumables for better arc stability and narrower kerf width

This might be a dumb question, but can the two methods of producing low-dross, higher tolerance holes be combined? Specifically:

1. Could an HPR130XD and Command THC be combined with a smaller 4’x4’ plasma table (since I don’t have room for anything larger) to achieve the goals I listed at the beginning of my post?
    2. Are any of the lower speed 4’x4’ plasma cutting tables/machines compatible with a high definition plasma cutting system if I accept the lower cutting speeds inherent in these machines (<150 ipm)? For instance, does anyone use an HPR series high definition plasma system on a PlasmaCAM, Torchmate or other entry-level plasma cutting machine? Or do the THCs and controllers found on these style machines nullify the potential benefits of the high definition plasma system?
    3. Does Hypertherm sell complete packages that can be installed on 4’x4’ off the shelf or custom cutting tables that include controllers, feed drives and CAM software? And if so, can anyone provide feedback on how difficult these systems are to retrofit?
    4. If I simply don’t have room for a 4’x8’ or 5’x10’ table and want some of the benefits of current high definition plasma process and I just out of luck ?

Thanks for any insight you can provide!

Mike

Hopefully I can clarify most of your questions.

-Most cnc plasma table manufacturers will custom build a 4 x 4 machine if you so desire...that will support all of the capability of Hypertherm's high definition class HPRxd plasmas. All of the necessary equipment that supports cut quality (torch height control system, high speed cutting capability, high acceleration rate at all speeds, accurate motion control, robust design, industrial PC based control, etc) will be used...just as in larger machines. Often...because the machine is custom built..it will cost as much or more as compared to a standard size machine. Hypertherm has a list of OEM machine builders on the Choose your region and language | Hypertherm website.

- The positioning tolerances you suggest are easy to do with a good quality plasma and cnc machine/height control system.

-using Hypertherm's technology (cnc, thc, CAM software and HPRxd system) excellent quality and tolerances on 1:1 (diameter of hole vs thickness) holes is achievable on steel. Not so easy on non ferrous materials (stainless and aluminum). Aluminum and stainless will likely produce holes that do not meet you specs for taper...Hypertherm's True Hole process only works on steel. Suggestion: there are machines that can plasma cut and drill.

-Note: the Command THC from Hypertherm is no longer in the product line. Hypertherm has the Sensor THC, which is an integrated (with Hypertherm cnc's) system, as well as the ArcGlide THC, which is a standalone THC, both of which support our True Hole and Rapid Part technologies.

-FineCut consumables are a design for lower cost, lower complexity air plasma systems in an attempt to get closer to high definition cutting capability (squarer, cleaner edges on thin materials). If this technology was used in a high definition system...it would be a step backwards at best. The high definition plasmas will use consumables rated for as low as 30 amps, with a variety of gas combinations to fine tune cut quality on thin materials.

-All of the Hypertherm HPRxd systems cut with the exact same quality on thin materials, use the same torch and consumables. The 800 amp HPR800xd will produce the same cuts on thin gauge materials as the 130 amp HPR130xd.

-Torchmate has the ability to install an HPR system...complete with Hypertherm THC, CNC, servo drives, and HPRxd system...on its Torchmate "X" machine. PlasmaCam uses a Hypertherm HPR plasma in its own shop in Colorado (however they do not use our TrueHole technology). Many other manufacturers will build a smaller table...but often it will take longer to get, and possibly will cost more due to engineering costs.

Hopefully this helps to answer most of the questions.

Jim Colt Hypertherm

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Braddock View Post
    I’m trying to decide what 2D CNC cutting solution best fits our needs. I’ve been researching different processes for a while and have read dozens of informative posts on this forum. Having performed as much research as I think I can on my own (and pestering Jim Colt with several questions via email ), I would like to ask a few specific questions about my application. Any advice you can offer will be greatly appreciated!

Our shop has been seriously considering an abrasive waterjet, but after factoring in all the support equipment, space becomes an issue and even a small 4’x4’ unit quickly approaches $200k by the time the necessary electrical upgrades (almost $30k) are performed in our facility. The search for the right cutting solution has forced us to re-evaluate and better understand our needs, which can be summarized below:

• 70%: 20 to 16 gauge aluminum and steel / min. hole size: 0.265”
    • 20%: 0.125” to 0.1875” aluminum and steel / min. hole size: 0.265”
    • 8%: 0.25” to 0.3125” aluminum and steel / min. hole size: 0.265”
    • 2%: 0.375” to 0.5” aluminum and steel / min. hole size: 0.390”

Positional tolerance for most of our work is between 0.010” and 0.020” over 6” length; we cut a lot of holes (some of which approach a 1:1 ratio of diameter-to-material-thickness) and we would like keep the edge taper within a reasonable range. We’re not looking for laser quality parts, but we would like the ability to cut holes with tapers less than ~10% of the material thickness when the need exists. About 75% of the parts we make get bent in a brake and put into service and the rest get welded. The volume of parts we make is actually pretty low if that matters.

Based on my research and conversations with Jim Colt, I can likely accomplish my goal using the following three things:

1. A rigid machine with quality feed drives and a controller capable of higher accelerations and cutting speeds (up to 400 ipm for thinner sheets)
    2. Very good THC that is capable of maintaining ~+/-0.005” height control (such as the Command THC or one of Koike’s offerings)
    3. A high definition plasma cutting system (like the HPR130XD)

My questions about going this route are as follows:

Since I am limited by floor space to a machine with a 4’x4’ cutting area, do any companies selling quality high definition plasma machines offer tables this small? (Unfortunately my research thus far indicates no.)

1. Will I need a controller and CAM software that supports Hypertherm’s True Hole technology to achieve my goals, or will any modern controller achieve the tolerances I am after in the relatively thin materials I am trying to cut if I use a good high definition plasma machine?
    2. Will Fine Cut consumables work with the HPR series torches (or are they even necessary and/or compatible)?
    3. Will a larger power supply such as the HPR260XD provide lower quality cuts in thinner material (i.e. 20 gauge) compared to the HPR130XD, or is cut quality independent of machine size?

Since we will mainly be cutting thinner sheet on our machine, I’ve read many people have had good success cutting this type of material on (shop) air plasma systems by using the following technique:

1. lower cutting speeds (< 150 ipm)
    2. lower power setting (to account for the lower cutting speeds)
    3. proper (often Fine Cut) consumables for better arc stability and narrower kerf width

This might be a dumb question, but can the two methods of producing low-dross, higher tolerance holes be combined? Specifically:

1. Could an HPR130XD and Command THC be combined with a smaller 4’x4’ plasma table (since I don’t have room for anything larger) to achieve the goals I listed at the beginning of my post?
    2. Are any of the lower speed 4’x4’ plasma cutting tables/machines compatible with a high definition plasma cutting system if I accept the lower cutting speeds inherent in these machines (<150 ipm)? For instance, does anyone use an HPR series high definition plasma system on a PlasmaCAM, Torchmate or other entry-level plasma cutting machine? Or do the THCs and controllers found on these style machines nullify the potential benefits of the high definition plasma system?
    3. Does Hypertherm sell complete packages that can be installed on 4’x4’ off the shelf or custom cutting tables that include controllers, feed drives and CAM software? And if so, can anyone provide feedback on how difficult these systems are to retrofit?
    4. If I simply don’t have room for a 4’x8’ or 5’x10’ table and want some of the benefits of current high definition plasma process and I just out of luck ?

Thanks for any insight you can provide!

Mike

As always, thank you for the insightful reply Jim! I've contacted a few of the vendors on the link you provided and so far Torchmate has been the most responsive. They are working to try and figure out if they can downsize their TMX machine to fit our smaller work space. As you indicated, Torchmate seems to have no problems providing the Hypertherm HPRxd plasma system on their machine.

I didn't realize the TrueHole process only works in ferrous materials (and now I see it stated clear as day in the literature ), so thank you for that clarification. Based on that new information I now need to decide if HD plasma is worth the significantly higher cost for our application since the majority of our work will be in aluminum.

In your experience (or anyone else who has used a regular air and an HD plasma), how much more difficult is an HD setup to use? Is the technology pretty transparent to the user if the automatic gas control valves are used or is there more for the user to worry about since this system uses a more robust controller? In my environment (educational institution) it's important new users can be easily trained. Perhaps a simpler air plasma is in fact the way for us to go and we should just plan to drill the holes on another machine (or follow your suggestion to investigate a drilling spindle that can be installed on the plasma cutter). Our work is exclusively prototyping, not production.

You certainly answered all of my questions and provided some excellent feedback that will help us make the right choice for our application. Thank you very much for your time and the obvious passion and commitment you have for this industry Jim.

Mike

Hi Mike,

regarding the table accuracy (as good as .01" / 0.25mm in your case), the following doesn't seem to be mentioned very often. The table axis need to be dead straight or at least have the ability to adjust them so they can be made dead straight AND perpendicular to each other. If the table doesn't have this ability then you need to confirm before purchase the accuracy exists (axis straightness AND perpendicularity to each other).

I've built my own table so this is something I had to think of from moment one. I've noticed for example that Torchmate and other tables have a single linear rail mounted on the side of the gantry tube. The linear rail will only be as straight as the base it is fixed to (the steel tube). I did this design myself and checked straightness but it was out over half mm (.02") so I had to paintakingly shim behind a lot of the linear rail boltholes to get it straight. I will be rebuilding my gantry for rigidity reasons and will be using rails mounted on the top and underneath the gantry tube. This method will not be relying on the gantry tube wall for rigidity seeing as the rails are far apart at the top and bottom. Also straightness adjustment will be easy as the rails can be slid instead of shimmed to achieve straightness. Anothe benefit to having 2 individually adjustable ganty rails is it gives the ability to get the z-axis exactly straight up and down too.

Maybe take a 4 x 4 piece of material and some very accurate marking method you can attach to the z-axis and draw a big square and see if the lines come out exactly straight and perpendicular to each other (both diagonals in the square exactly the same length).

Just my 2c,

Keith.

If the Hypertherm HPRxd system is interfaced to Hypertherm's cnc control, and used with Cam Solutions software....then it is the easiest cutting machine to use...bar none. It is entirely touchscreen (windows based) controlled, all plasma parameters are automatically set by simply choosing the material thickness and type.

Jim Colt

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Braddock View Post
    As always, thank you for the insightful reply Jim! I've contacted a few of the vendors on the link you provided and so far Torchmate has been the most responsive. They are working to try and figure out if they can downsize their TMX machine to fit our smaller work space. As you indicated, Torchmate seems to have no problems providing the Hypertherm HPRxd plasma system on their machine.

I didn't realize the TrueHole process only works in ferrous materials (and now I see it stated clear as day in the literature ), so thank you for that clarification. Based on that new information I now need to decide if HD plasma is worth the significantly higher cost for our application since the majority of our work will be in aluminum.

In your experience (or anyone else who has used a regular air and an HD plasma), how much more difficult is an HD setup to use? Is the technology pretty transparent to the user if the automatic gas control valves are used or is there more for the user to worry about since this system uses a more robust controller? In my environment (educational institution) it's important new users can be easily trained. Perhaps a simpler air plasma is in fact the way for us to go and we should just plan to drill the holes on another machine (or follow your suggestion to investigate a drilling spindle that can be installed on the plasma cutter). Our work is exclusively prototyping, not production.

You certainly answered all of my questions and provided some excellent feedback that will help us make the right choice for our application. Thank you very much for your time and the obvious passion and commitment you have for this industry Jim.

Mike