584,857 active members*
4,505 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Reliable router speed control.

i need suggestions on reliable speed controllers for a router. what types are out there. i have used cheap ones on ebay and they only lasted about 150 hours of milling time. the router im using is a 1.75 hp. do you think i could just use a stepdown from 120v? say a 36v transformer?

CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    thanks, this would definitely be good but im looking for something cheaper. because i dont need it to be electronically controlled, i just need 2 speeds

does anybody know if somethign like this would work, my router is a 10 amp and this is max 5 amps, but i will only be using 1/3rd of the power of my router max.
    VARIAC Variable Voltage Transformer 500VA 120 V Volts VAC 0-140 Output Regulator | eBay

i know this one would work, but again im scared of reliability
    MLCS 9410 20-Amp Heavy Duty Router Speed Control NEW | eBay

AC motors can self-destruct when provided with lower-than-spec voltages. They can draw more amps to compensate, which damages the windings. This is why brownouts are often more dangerous to machinery than blackouts.

Brownout (electricity) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cheers!

Actually in this case, being a Universal (series) motor, you are just going to get some reduced torque at the expense of rpm control with lower voltage, which the Variac will give you, you need some kind of feedback to maintain the torque at low rpm.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Get the super pid it's well worth the $

Thanks for mentioning the Super-PID guys.

As for the technical side of the issue using a Variac, the problem is as Al_The_man said; series universal motors as used in Routers have very poor voltage speed regulation at lower speeds <10k RPM, so you may be able to use a Variac or Light dimmer etc to reduce the Router speed, but it will be very sensitive to load and bog down or even stop the router if you try to take a decent sized cut.

I checked out that ebay speed controller in your link, it looks very similar to the Harbour Freight brand speed controller which is also about $40 and has been sold for years. They are open loop so they don't give very good low speed performance (regardless of what the ad says). Their performance is similar to the speed control dial that most routers have already built in.

If your "two speeds" are both above 13k or so you might get away with a cheap controller, or a router with an inbuilt speed control dial.