585,974 active members*
4,229 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > GRIZZLY G0602 10x22 LATHE UNCRATE & TEARDOWN

GRIZZLY G0602 10x22 LATHE UNCRATE & TEARDOWN

http://crevicereamer.com
    Too many PMs. Email me to my name plus At A O L dot com.

Post Lucky Guy

Looks like you are a lucky guy in that the crate was not damaged. I receieved by 10x22 lathe back in June 2009 and the lathe was sitting on another pallet as the factory pallet was broken and the crate was also damaged. Found a little scratched areas of paint, nothing touch up paint would not take care of. I too was a lucky guy, after readings some of the posts before I received the lathe about how some the lathes had broken emergency switch and off and on switch.

CR, hurry up and CNC that thing !! We're all waiting !!

Hi RW!

All in due time. So much to post, and so little time.

CR.

Quote Originally Posted by thinking man View Post
    Looks like you are a lucky guy in that the crate was not damaged. I receieved by 10x22 lathe back in June 2009 and the lathe was sitting on another pallet as the factory pallet was broken and the crate was also damaged. Found a little scratched areas of paint, nothing touch up paint would not take care of. I too was a lucky guy, after readings some of the posts before I received the lathe about how some the lathes had broken emergency switch and off and on switch.
    Wow TM. You've got to get out more.

Yep, we're BOTH lucky guys. Anybody who has this wonderful lathe is a lucky guy!

CR.

CR,

What a great photo essay of cleaning and dismantling a Grizzly G0602 10x22 lathe. You've made my teardown of my new lathe much less stressful.

Now that I've got the carriage and cross slide and compound all in pieces, what is the next step? I'm unsure of what to use to relubricate the cross slide and compound screws. Lithium grease? Way oil?

Also, should I be squirting way oil into the ball oilers instead of 10 weight like the Grizzly manual suggests? From another post you made, I'm avoiding oiling the two ball oilers on the spindle bearings so that the bearing grease is not washed away.

Quote Originally Posted by Titaniumboy View Post
    CR,

What a great photo essay of cleaning and dismantling a Grizzly G0602 10x22 lathe. You've made my teardown of my new lathe much less stressful.

Now that I've got the carriage and cross slide and compound all in pieces, what is the next step? I'm unsure of what to use to relubricate the cross slide and compound screws. Lithium grease? Way oil?

Also, should I be squirting way oil into the ball oilers instead of 10 weight like the Grizzly manual suggests? From another post you made, I'm avoiding oiling the two ball oilers on the spindle bearings so that the bearing grease is not washed away.
    Thanks TB!

I will be using flood cooling with Synkool, so don't want any organic tramp oil to get into the coolant sump. Because of this, I use Mobile One synthetic 10W-30 for way oil AND ball oilers.

I don't use the gearcase--it's still full of the oil it came with. My threading will be done by CNC.

CR.

CR.

CR,

Thanks for the reply.

So if you're using Mobil 1 in the ball oilers, I guess that will lubricate both the ways and the cross slide screw?

I noticed that the cross slide has ball oilers, but the compound does not. Kind of strange. I imagine that you won't be using the compound once your CNC conversion is finished?

I removed the faceplate in order to get a lock at the spindle bearings (and also to remove those last pesky pieces of plastic wrap that was protecting the faceplate). I suppose there might have once been grease in the bearings, but I sure don't see any grease there now. The whole design of the spindle bearings having being open, and then having ball oilers just dribble oil on the outside of the spindle bearings is just poor. I think I'm going to try and smear some grease on the side of the spindle bearings and hope some of it ends up being in a place where it can do some good.

Congrats

some day .... I hope to get the same lathe...

clicking my heals three times

Posting for future use.

Thanks,

-Jason

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedsCustom View Post
    Posting for future use.

Thanks,

-Jason
    Jason, rather than posting an old thread, you can just use the "subscribe" option in the "thread tools" menu shown in the picture below.

Dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails subscribetothread.jpg  
    Dave->..

I should no better!

(chair)

My chuck is stuck on, but those spanner nuts turn off the spindle when I grip them with the pipe wrench.

so I had to take the pully off and use a pipe wrench on the spindle, with a towel around the spindle.