584,817 active members*
4,754 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Deskengrave- Neat Program!!!

Just started using Deskengrave to do small text engraving jobs. It is quick and very easy to use, can use any font found in Windows word processer and outputs simple and straight forward g-code. I was looking for something to use on the Proto-trak sport mills at work, and it works great. Proto-trak
    MX-3's are very tight on memory (500 lines of g code) but the basic "stick letters" in desk engrave worked great. Only edit I had to do is on the second line of g code I had to change the tool number to T1 from T0 to get the Z axis to move. I then did a fancier engraving program on a Fadal with great results. If you are looking for a quick and easy text engraving program for FREE, give it a try. You can download it for free from the Deskcnc website.

Yes. A very good program.
    Wayne Hill

Hey Wayne, I think we know each other sort of. You are a friend of Bill Waulken (spelling) if I remember correctly. I have a small shop in Brooklyn and had a couple of
    Cadillac CNC's like Bill did for a while. Hope things are going well for you. I'm working up a big Sharnoa mill using deskcnc and rutex drives. You got any interesting projects working?

Hi Russ,

Long time no see. I was over your place in many many many years ago getting your BP Boss 5 to talk to a PC. Still working at Ford? I see Bill Wulkan all the time.

I have converted a desktop mill to CNC with Geckos and CNCPro. And a Jet lathe with Geckos and DeskCNC. Lots to catch up on. Email me:

wayne_j_hill at yahoo dot com

Wayne
    Wayne Hill

Engraving

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Shugg View Post
    Just started using Deskengrave to do small text engraving jobs. It is quick and very easy to use, can use any font found in Windows word processer and outputs simple and straight forward g-code. I was looking for something to use on the Proto-trak sport mills at work, and it works great. Proto-trak
    MX-3's are very tight on memory (500 lines of g code) but the basic "stick letters" in desk engrave worked great. Only edit I had to do is on the second line of g code I had to change the tool number to T1 from T0 to get the Z axis to move. I then did a fancier engraving program on a Fadal with great results. If you are looking for a quick and easy text engraving program for FREE, give it a try. You can download it for free from the Deskcnc website.
    How do you export the file to the machine? Trying to engrave on a 1994 haas mill. Could not find anywhere to export.

Quote Originally Posted by beto81 View Post
    How do you export the file to the machine? Trying to engrave on a 1994 haas mill. Could not find anywhere to export.
    Put your text where it says and click CREATE then click FILE, SAVE AS G CODE and save it where you can find it. open it in your text editor and add the appropriate start up code for your machine. And export as you would any upload to your machine.
    We're not in business to make parts, we're in business to make money, making parts is just how we do that.

Deskengrave

I saved the program to my desktop and dragged it to a free software program called NClink. Had to adjust the baud rate etc.. But working great. Deskengrave gives a good code. I thought deskengrave could be used to transfer programs also.