585,902 active members*
4,367 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

NPTF Threads help please !

Ok I have a new job and the machines are Mazak but ...... They are not so new ! They just bought them maybe in 1958 !!!! They are on the T 32 format . The one is giving MASS headaches with just about EVERYTHING . I am attempting to put a 3/8-18 NPTF thread on the back of the part . The O.A.L. is .900 from the face of the part to the end of the thread is ..463 with the typical 1.783 degrees of angle . And has a .5 ( dia . of thread relief by .098 wide ) thread relief . I have tried writing it from the O.A.L. back to the .577 but could not get the angle to come out for the trunc. gauge to work . So I went back to the idea of starting from the end of the thread( .463 ) and tapering down the to end of the part . Now I am getting reverse contour errors , illeagle start cut point errors .

I even fallowed an old program TO THE LETTER AND NUMBER and for something completely different the previous guy wrote ( as I said I am new to the shop ) Just to see if it would even run the trace . It went a head and mapped out the outline of that part but when running the tool path it freaked out and gave me an error because it read the edgfce movement .

Any ideas on what to try next ? Even maybe put up a process for me to try ?

Thanks Billy

can you post the part print and what you are exactly trying to accomplish? Mazatrol is good but not as versatile as G-code.

Uhh....there were no T-32s back in 1958. It would have to have a few thousand vacuum tubes if it was.

Are you thread milling???

I took it that this is a lathe part. If he has EIA, he could just G-code it.