585,683 active members*
4,874 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > 18i- how can I set spindle tool number when toolchanger out of commission?

18i- how can I set spindle tool number when toolchanger out of commission?

VMC ATC is down awaiting a motor repair. In the interim, I want to hand-load tools into the spindle and run the individual operations. Sure, I can simply take the M6's out of the program(s) and replace them with M00's to stop and change and then just use the correct corresponding H offset regardless of what the machine THINKS and displays is in the spindle. The issue comes in for measuring tools. Without telling it exactly what tool number is in the spindle, I can only use the T1 (current tool) register to measure each tool and then hand put the number into the corresponding offset. The OM control on 2 of our other verticals is a breeze- change the 00 t-register to whatever I put in the spindle. I'll be damned if I can find where in/on the 18i to manually change the spindle tool number.

Re: 18i- how can I set spindle tool number when toolchanger out of commission?

Hi,

You don't need the T-- and M06 codes in your program, put a M00 between the "toolchange" and replace the tools by hand [ in JOG-mode ] and continue.
    Measure your tools in POT1-T01 but put the correct values in the offset-table for H02 [=T02], H03 [=T03] etc.
    The program reads the correct G43 Z150. H02, G43 Z150. H03 etc. for each tool.

Regards,
    Heavy_Metal.

-------------------------------------------

like heavy_metal said
    the Ts only come into play when tool changing.
    Hs and Ds are what affect part geometry.
    just put (T#) comments around your Ts so you know what to load in the spindle.

Only lame machines like Haas try to tie T# to H#, and you can undo that via parameter. I have never seen a Fanuc mill that did that. But I am learning everyday.

The bigger question for me is?
    How are you running the machine with a missing motor?

After rereading your question ,again. I get it.
    You want to use MZ or measure right? And the control wont let you cursor up and down to put it where you want it?
    I think you will just have to use pencil and paper. I think that those measurement features are handled in the software, but Im not sure.