585,948 active members*
3,706 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > Hypertherm Plasma > Powermax 1000 Hand torch on a CNC Plasma table

Powermax 1000 Hand torch on a CNC Plasma table

Hi,

My plasma table project is almost complete. I've been searching and I have not been able to find out exactly how to convert my hand torch to a machine torch. Please spare me the sales pitch for the $700 machine torch. I may buy one of those in the future if this home built hobby machine proves useful and reliable. For now I need to see if this thing even works in the real world of RF interference and dust. Why are those torches so expensive anyway?

I have a Powermax 1000 with a T60 hand torch. I do have the machine interface wire that plugs into the port on the back of the plasma cutter, but I haven't been able to get the torch to fire. It seems that there is a safety that must be disabled in the torch. I would like to do this in a way where the safety can be easily re enabled so I can still use this as a hand torch.

This is a Home/Hobby use machine, no employees, no OSHA, not using this in any way for profit.

Thanks!

The Hypertherm systems do have an interlock that does not allow the rear panel interface recepatcle to fire the hand torch. This is a safety circuit that was brought about after an industrial accident that occured when someone fired a hand torch (that had been neatly wrapped around an acetylene cylinder) with a remote switch. Of course it was Hypertherm's fault.....so all systems now have the interlock circuitry.

That being said...there are many end users that have modified the wiring in Hypertherm systems...and use hand torches for mechanized applications. A Hypertherm employee cannot offer advice on how to bypass safety circuits on these systems.

Machine torches are designed with an industrial heavy duty torch mount, they are easier to mount and maintain perpendicularity to the plate, and cost between $150 and $200 more than a hand torch. They are priced higher based on higher manufacturing costs related to the much lower volume as compared to hand torches. Worth every penny if you figure cut quality and productivity into your cutting costs.

Some Hypertherm systems are available with both a hand and a machine torch...the machine torch can stay permanently (properly) mounted on your cutting machine...and to switch to the hand torch simply unplug one, plug in the other with no tools required. Machines that come with both torches are discounted....so the machine torch is essentially the same price as the hand torch.

If you are building a machine from kit components...often the supplier will provide info on interfacing a hand torch for machine use. If you can read a wiring diagram...you can figure out the wiring pretty easily from the diagram in the operators manual as well.

Jim Colt

Quote Originally Posted by rogerfries View Post
    Hi,

My plasma table project is almost complete. I've been searching and I have not been able to find out exactly how to convert my hand torch to a machine torch. Please spare me the sales pitch for the $700 machine torch. I may buy one of those in the future if this home built hobby machine proves useful and reliable. For now I need to see if this thing even works in the real world of RF interference and dust. Why are those torches so expensive anyway?

I have a Powermax 1000 with a T60 hand torch. I do have the machine interface wire that plugs into the port on the back of the plasma cutter, but I haven't been able to get the torch to fire. It seems that there is a safety that must be disabled in the torch. I would like to do this in a way where the safety can be easily re enabled so I can still use this as a hand torch.

This is a Home/Hobby use machine, no employees, no OSHA, not using this in any way for profit.

Thanks!

Jim,

I appreciate that you must tow the party line. What aggravates me is that I feel it's more likely someone will get hurt trying to mess with something than if clear instructions were provided, but that's not Hypertherm's problem I guess. Again Jim this is not in any way your fault, it's lawsuit happy society we live in.

There are no productivity benefits to the machine torch as I said this is a home/hobby shop.

The real world pricing has machine torches at double the price of hand torches. Plus I already have a hand torch which came with my machine so I don't need to buy one.

Unfortunately, I'm not building a kit. Mine is a total custom that started it's life as an old Swiss CNC pen plotter from the 80's so no help there. Also as this is not a proven plan I'm not even 100% sure this thing will work in the real world, so I don't want to drop any more money than necessary until this design is proven.

It's nice to know that you offer a dual torch model, but I've spent enough on the model I have. I have had it several years, but it should have many years left in it I hope.

No doubt hundreds of people have done this i've seen all of the youtube videos. Can any non Hypertherm employee please describe how to defeat the safety interlock on a Powermax 1000? There is no reason why a private person can't post this right? Freedom of speech and all.

Thanks!

The suggested list price of a replacement (Duramax) hand torch for a Powermax1000 with 25' leads is $470 (US), the Duramax machine torch is $755 (US). The machine torch is $285 more....not double. Most distributors offer discounts from these prices. The hand torch is sold in quantities that are 8 to 9 times larger than the machine torch numbers. If it could be manufactured at the same cost...it would be sold at the same cost.

There have been many posts describing how to interface a hand torch system on a variety of sites including this one. A search will likely find one...or someone may respond to your post. The wiring is relatively simple...I wish I could offer my help! There are a few thousand users with a variety of machines using hand torches.

I have two cnc machines in my home shop....which is a hobby shop. I stand behind the fact that the machine torch cuts squarer, allows faster consumable inspection and changeout...and due to time savings over the years that I will own it...is definitely worth the extra price. My original CNC machine used a hand torch...

Jim Colt

Quote Originally Posted by rogerfries View Post
    Jim,

I appreciate that you must tow the party line. What aggravates me is that I feel it's more likely someone will get hurt trying to mess with something than if clear instructions were provided, but that's not Hypertherm's problem I guess. Again Jim this is not in any way your fault, it's lawsuit happy society we live in.

There are no productivity benefits to the machine torch as I said this is a home/hobby shop.

The real world pricing has machine torches at double the price of hand torches. Plus I already have a hand torch which came with my machine so I don't need to buy one.

Unfortunately, I'm not building a kit. Mine is a total custom that started it's life as an old Swiss CNC pen plotter from the 80's so no help there. Also as this is not a proven plan I'm not even 100% sure this thing will work in the real world, so I don't want to drop any more money than necessary until this design is proven.

It's nice to know that you offer a dual torch model, but I've spent enough on the model I have. I have had it several years, but it should have many years left in it I hope.

No doubt hundreds of people have done this i've seen all of the youtube videos. Can any non Hypertherm employee please describe how to defeat the safety interlock on a Powermax 1000? There is no reason why a private person can't post this right? Freedom of speech and all.

Thanks!

Jim,

I have found one solution searching using the correct lingo 'interlock'. I'm not in love with the solution as it involves cutting and splicing into the torch wiring and not using the rear panel connector. I'll search more after work.

I probably will buy the machine torch if this design proves reliable. I was considering upgrading to the new duramax torch anyway, but first I need to prove the viability of this machine and use up the consumables I have already purchased for the old torch.

Thanks
    Thanks

Roger, see post 96 in my build thread here:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/precis...e_build-8.html

My plasma cutter is a powermax 1000 as well. Splicing the torch wires is no big deal, just unplug the torch before splicing. There are even pics to guide you along as well as show you where to pick up the arc voltage connections.

Brad

Thanks Brad!

I spliced into the torch wires just like you have done. Your right minimally invasive mod which can easily be reversed if necessary. I just used scotch lock connectors for now. I can solder it in later if I feel it's necessary.

The Hand Torch is now under Mach 3 control. I'm almost ready to cut. I would have tried something tonight, but I did not have a g code file ready to run and it's about bed time. I still have probably one weekend's worth of work to finish this plus paint time, the problem is the next couple of weekends are booked with social activities so I'm not sure when I can get a real test in.

Looking at your build there is not much in common with mine, yours is amazing! I don't have that kind of shop space. Mine is much smaller. I have a 4' x 3' work envelope. The only thing different about mine that I've never seen before is that mine has folding legs so it can be tipped up and stored flat against the wall when not in use.

One stupid basic question, X & Y axis is there a normal way to set this up? Is the X axis moving the Gantry, or is the X axis sliding on the Gantry? I guess it doesn't matter, I just want to be consistent with the rest of the world.

Thanks again!

Hi Roger,

I use X for the length of the table i.e. the gantry moves along the X rails.

Y is on the gantry and the Z slides across the table on the Y-axis.

I get the impression this is the most common and is like looking at a graph or a cad program, X along the bottom (or horizontal) and Y vertical with zero being at bottom left, and z being perpendicular to the XY plane.

Some people swap the X and Y though. Don't think one or the other is right, just whatever you are comfortable with, it's all configurable in Mach.

Keith.