585,662 active members*
3,325 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Mastercam > Siemens 828d continuous path mode problem

Siemens 828d continuous path mode problem

Im having an issue with the siemens 828d control running a 4 axis mitseiki cv-2000 vertical machining center. Ive had a mastercam rep out to write a post for me which all seems to be working fine. there is an issue with the control where it is not giving me continuous path. G64 is the code to activate this but it doesnt seem to make a difference. a simple 2d contour path seems to stop at the quadrants when rolling around a 90 degree corner.
    i replicated this toolpath in shopmill directly on the controller and it does the same around a 90degree corner. ive had a technician out who services siemens and even he cant work it out.
    I need help urgently as this seems like such a basic thing but no one knows how to fix it. If anyone has the same control or can direct me to someone who has the same control that would be great.

What does the actual code look like that is producing the problem? What should it look like? What are the control definition settings for arcs?

What version of MC are you running I have a thought?
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)
    Cadcam
    Software and hardware sales, contract Programming and Consultant , Cad-Cam Instructor .

Im running X6 MU2. I really dont think its an issue within mcam as it does the same thing when doing a program in shopmill.

Ive attached 2 files.

First one the setting in the control def for arcs

Second is just a simple 2d contour toolpath. i had to zip it.

thanks for your time
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mcam arcs setting.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files

What happens when you run at a much slower feed rate?

a slower feed rate doesnt make any difference. It still does a complete stop at the quadrants of an arc no matter what feed. And just today. ive noticed another problem.

with a basic contour ramp toolpath, i was ramping down a slot with a half circle at each end of the slot. when the cutter had finished the linear movement, instead of a helix around the slot end with an x y z movement, it completly missed the x movement and did a y z movement with an arc over the top.

this is so frustrating as i have been running mazaks for so many years and now im using a siemens control and its such a headache!

Quote Originally Posted by Michaelt83 View Post
    a slower feed rate doesnt make any difference. It still does a complete stop at the quadrants of an arc no matter what feed.
    This is suggesting a machine parameter setting, not a programming ( or mastercam) error
    - look to see if tolerance control is ON, or exact stop mode is activated
    ( I have to ask, ---it's not point to point code, is it? )

with a basic contour ramp toolpath, i was ramping down a slot with a half circle at each end of the slot. when the cutter had finished the linear movement, instead of a helix around the slot end with an x y z movement, it completly missed the x movement and did a y z movement with an arc over the top.
    copy the path and remove the Z axis moves & prove it off - to make sure the machine can do the slot path correctly
    -now-
    place a Z move on just the arc movements - check to see if arcs can be done while feeding down in Z. On some older machines, it was an purchase option.

Is you "Filter" turned ON, and the arcs XY, XZ, YZ enabled ON ?? ( in the toolpath operation parameters)

My CONTROL file arc settings are Allow 360° arcs= all OFF, break at 180° (all arcs) , Helix support only in XY plane, ON
    ( some controls cannot do a full arc sweep using the IJK address )

PS put up that piece of NC code, & showing the speed & feed, & tool Ø you are using

I have had the service ppl out about this feed issue and they cant work it out either. it seems to do it in shopmill also (program via the controller)

as for the helix issue with the slot, i removed the Z value from the line with the I and J and it does the arc ok. but as soon as the z value is in, the it does the arc with the y and z not the y and x. its as if its changing the plane even though G17 is active.

ive attached the toolpath which does the ramp in the slot.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Re: Siemens 828d continuous path mode problem

Hi there Michaelt83 , did you ever get that problem solved , we have a Siemens 828d controller with the same issues , usually on our fanuc look aheads we use a G05.1Q1 , and assuming the Siemens would have something more intuitive , we were given some code to input but to no avail we seem to get this jerky motions on all the arc movements on 3d machining and 2d , let us know your results
    cheers