585,712 active members*
4,149 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Machine Controllers Software and Solutions > Fanuc > Help with FANUC O-MD and index signal (M21)

Help with FANUC O-MD and index signal (M21)

I'm trying to set up a HAAS HRT indexer on a Vigor bed mill with a FANUC O-MD controller. Vigor has not enabled any M codes for indexing and I do not have the POPEN command to talk to the indexer via RS232. Is it possible to enable an M code in the logic and add a relay for the indexer? Is there an easier way to go about this?

The indexer requires a closed zero voltage relay to index and has an internal relay (24V max) to tell the machine whrn it is finished.

Any help is much appriciated.

Thanks,
    Sump Cleaner

If you have a M code for a function that you are not using, you may be able to do this, also the M code you use would have to be a type that reads a FIN(ish) signal input.
    Some do not wait for a finish signal as in some coolant on/off etc, Normally this M code would be written in the PMC ladder.
    An alternative would be to place a program stop M0 and display a message for the operator to index the table and cycle start when done.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Thanks Al,

This machine does have an M19 that is recognised and has a relay that trips when entered in MDI mode but does not trip out until the reset button is pressed. The machine does not even have the capability to orientate the spindle so this one never gets used. Could this one be tapped?

I need to index and mill at the same time to put clearance on these tool shanks before the carbide is brazed on. This is why I need the machine to start the indexer so my timing calculations work out.

SC

I would suspect that there is an input that completes that M19, if it is not hooked up, then the only way to reset the M19 would be the m/c reset button.
    You would have to study the M19 rung in the ladder, the only draw back would be if it is only enabled in MDI.
    If someone in your area has a FAPT PMC programmer, they might make the changes for you for a resonable fee? to enable it in run mode.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.